Season's Over

unboostedV6

Could've done better in points, but it's tough to dial when every pass is a test'n'tune... Anyway my low ET, made on my final pass this year, is 11.58 @ 116 mph. 1.66 60 ft., 7.3x @ 93.5 1/8th. I believe, with a 5600-5800 rpm converter,some 5.13's out back, and at least a 750 alky carb, it may be able to click off 10.9x's at its current 3250 lbs......the best news is NOTHING BROKE!! I haven't even had the valve covers off since March GB

You give the stocker NA guys like me hope.

3250, you lighten up the interior at all? I take it from your mods list and planned mods it's an all out drag car?

One last question, what track do you run at?

Nice job Greg. Put that engine in an H-body and you wouldn't have to worry about 10.9's. You would be into the 10.7's easy. :p Stepping up to a 750 carb? Next you will say your cam is too small too. Monsterous combo, totally awesome.

Willitel, about the only thing your engine has in common with his is 6 cylinders:) His combo is full on and running good. You may want to set your goals a little more reasonable. Mid 14's isn't out of the question in a car that is set up properly but even that isn't a slam dunk with a N/A 3.8 in a G-body. My car is only about 2550 pounds with me in it (close to 1000 less than a typical Cutlass or Regal) and I am in the mid 14's. Don't give up hope, N/A Buicks are a lot of fun. Nobody wants to get beat by one.

Awesome job Greg! Put a cage in that car and let er rip!!

I am getting closer on my NA project and hope to have it finished in a few weeks...unfortunately after our season is over too. Again, great job!!

Aaron

Thanks Guys!...Interior? It still has a steering wheel and a shifter...Now you mention it Erik, it could use some more lift - maybe around .720" or so - duration is close as is - still pulls 9 in. vacuum at 1200 rpm idle...Fred, where have you been ??!! ... Rollbar and harness to come this winter... GB

Well aware of the six cylinder sole similaritly. :tongue:

My personal goal is to be able to get the car our of it's own way. I'm not shooting for a low timeslip. The track is too far away to make that fun (I break something and it'll be a large towing bill). I just want something I can drive.

Truthfully, if the engine ends up needing a re ring soon, I'll pull it and drop in an Olds 350 (or 455 :tongue: ). I just want to see how far I can get on this motor first.

Sorry for 'jacking your thread. I'm looking to do a 3.73.

I'd love to see some pics of your car.
And I don't think I said it, but that's a killer time.

FuzzyGN....is that your Vega I saw on Youtube???

I kinda doubt it. I didn't post one but maybe someone did from last years West Coast Nationals. My Vega is a 77 Wagon that is Maroon (original paint!!!) with old Centerline Pro Stock wheels. If the car you saw matches that description could I have the link?

Greg, the bigger lift is just a rocker set away :smile:

YouTube - Vega Wagon

See if that link works. I can't quite tell from the video what color it is...it looks black or maroon but it does have Centerlines on it. If you look VERY closely, it appears to pop the left front tire a little! Awesome!!

Nope, that isn't my Vega. It looks very close to that except mine has a cowl induction hood. It sounds just like that one and mine is a 4speed too. Cool, who knew there was another?

Greg, I like the way your car looks. Patina is in, all my cars have it :)

A new bump stick would be roughly 1/8th the cost of rockers in this case, dude...'patina'...is that Italian for rust or my sumac and maple graphics? Do you have an extra 4 headlight hatchback shell laying around Erik? Our dream car is on racingjunk...an ss/ax monza, 274" Buick, ballast added to make 2250 lb. minimum weight...8.80's - too bad it's in Oregon...Thanks again for the props Jim and Aaron! GB

Patina is the natural fading of paint and rust starting to show through the REALLY thin paint. I love it, never needs a wash or wax. Sprayed rubber from the rear tires gives it that extra cool touch. Oh yea, totally forgot the high dollar heads you have there. The stick would be cheaper but less fun to get at and install. You have all winter I guess.

You are in luck actually. I do happen to have a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird that I just finished last weekend. It is the same body style as the Monza but has the metal nose instead of the flexible junk that never holds paint. It has a 231 in it now with H-body headers (very rare), dual flowbastards, 206 comp cam, 4 bbl carb, steel shim head gaskets for a little bump in compression, and ported heads. It has the front pealing paint, rear primer thing going on with spray can ralley stripes over the hood and hatch. Actually looks cool. Ralley wheels with 13" Mickey Thompson "I" tires and a TH-350 with shift kit are all freshly installed. Black interior with tilt wheel and a used CD player finish it off. It is fun to drive as a beater but I need less cars and more money to put into the other cars :). I will make someone a really sweet deal on it. Rust free (as much as an H-body can be anyway) New Mexico car. Have title, can travel.

My wagon is now about 2400 pounds with all glass, steel panels except for the hood, and full bumpers. Basically I haven't put much money into making it light. It is really easy.

A new bump stick would be roughly 1/8th the cost of rockers in this case, dude...'patina'...is that Italian for rust or my sumac and maple graphics? Do you have an extra 4 headlight hatchback shell laying around Erik? Our dream car is on racingjunk...an ss/ax monza, 274" Buick, ballast added to make 2250 lb. minimum weight...8.80's - too bad it's in Oregon...Thanks again for the props Jim and Aaron! GB

Hi Greg,

Great ET's.

I have a Stage 2 cam here, new from Crane part # 81TR00006
81-TR-268/4167-25-6

You can have it if you want.

Will you separate it? How much for the roof,quarters,floor and firewall? ;) GB

Oh man. I have bought and sold this car three different times now. I really don't want to take it apart again. :p I do have a line on a more incomplete car. I need to follow up on it to see if he will part with it for a reasonable price. One I had my eye on was just sold yesterday morning to some other dude :mad: Oh well, there are many more around here. I am going to try and talk with the guy this weekend and I will let you know Monday.