Search Feature on This Site

Low Budget

I recently tried to do a search for threads discussing oil pressure at idle.

I was given the following message by this site:

vBulletin Message
The search term you specified (oil) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

They must mean minimum letter length, not word length, but that doesn't change anything.
How do the rest of you overcome this problem when searching for a word as critical as oil? Even the Webmaster who answered my e-mail on this subject is curious as to the answer on this one! He couldn't help me.

I tried it just now, and that only yields the same results you would get by typing the plural, "oils." The wild card * makes the search possible, but it doesn't pull up threads which use the word "oil" singular.

Nice thought though. It was worth a try.

I think the only way to really solve this problem is for the search to allow smaller words.

Any other input anyone? Bruce? You watching?

Jeff

i tried to search for Jet coat yesterday--NO GO---i also tried jetcoat--only like one result----I don't remember this feature being on the search function:confused:

Geoff

Yea, I don't remember this three letter NFG stuff from before either.

Reds, I did forget to search titles only. Thanks for the tips. Jeff

Any moderators have any idea how long this has been this way and why? Can it be changed or is it cost prohibitive?

I ran into this annoyance last night too (searching for WRX stories, and since it's only 3 characters, it yelled). I wonder why this new rule had to be put into place?

WRX

Those little suckers are sure annoying! I know a guy who bought one new and proceeded to take it right to the track within the first month. He had installed an adjustable waste-gate and that's all. He would leave on the rev limiter and was running 13.75's if I remember right. I just know, each time I ran faster, he would run one off a bit faster than me. Rotten @#%^@#!! I fixed his butt for sure now! I threw a bunch of money at mine and should spank him good!

Anyone else on this search-capade?