Sealing up Motor...

gndude

Okay, my car is running fine but I think due to age and oil leaks its time to seal her up. Mileage is 51,000, motor is all original except for the new rear main I put in. Here is my plan, just wondering if anyone can add to my list or offer suggestions:

Pull the motor and replace the following:

Main bearings ( I assume I can get std.?): ~ $40
Rod bearsings ( I assume I can get std.?) ~ $28
Timing Gear set - ~ $22
Timing cover seal: ~ $13
Water Pump: ~ $35
Intake Gasket: ~ $25 - one piece ( Felpro or other?)
oil pan gasket: $15 ( Felpro cork/rubber combo?)
Rear Main seal: ~ $15 ( Felpro here)
Front seal: ~ $17 ( Felpro again)
Valve cover gaskets: ~ $16 ( Felpro 1600s)
Freeze plugs - ~$15

Maybe change following:

Valve Springs ~ $75
Valve Seals ~ $15
Lifters ( Can this be done without replacing the cam?)
Head Gaskets/Bolts ( Should I mess with this given they are not leaking?)

Ideas?

If you have good oil pressure I wouldnt mess with the bearings, and I definitely would not put new lifters on the old cam if they are working fine. The lifters and cam wear as a pair, and you will be inviting disaster where it might not have come at all.

Dont mess with something that is not broken.

The oil leaks get old fast, I would do:
valvle covers
timing chain and gears
water pump
valve springs

Thats about it. Dont pull the heads. Dont pull the intake. Just my humble opinion

Everything you listed in the top section looks to be a good plan... + the valve springs and seals...Don't go to stiff on the valve springs...

But leave the head gaskets/bolts alone!!! Do not break the factory seal on the head gaskets...

And as for lifters...If the cam still looks fine, then I would leave the lifters alone as well...

Sounds like I'm getting mixed suggestions on the main/rod bearings? Any reason not to change them once the motor is pulled? I'd like to seal it up good, make the engine really clean. Is there some sort of issue with buying std. size bearings? I would p-gauge them to make sure, just assumed they wouldn't require a large size/crank grind. I'm sure the crank is clean because I had the main cap off 1,000 miles ago to replace the rear main seal.

I'm kinda in agreement on the head gaskets, I've heard they are hard to seal back up as good as OEM. Any reason not to seal up the intake - does it have a habbit of leaking once removed?

Just trying to get a list of everything I want to change to make the engine pull worth while.