Scanmaster or Power Logger?

RTCarlin

I finally realize that I need to retire Directscan as old laptops are drying up. I was thinking of just getting a Scanmaster, but I noticed that for about $15, I could just get the Power Logger.

The logical choice, if you've got a compatible laptop, seems Power Logger due to it's ease of installation, sheer amount of data provided, and it's ability to save its data to files.

Am I missing something here???

---Ron Carlin Jr.

I have used the powerlogger for about 6 months. It works great, but I am adding a scanmaster next week for data while just driving around without the computer. If you don't drive it much on the street, go for the powerlogger, but I think both would be better.

I have used the powerlogger for about 6 months. It works great, but I am adding a scanmaster next week for data while just driving around without the computer. If you don't drive it much on the street, go for the powerlogger, but I think both would be better.

+1 Never done that +1 thing before but I would have said the exact same thing he did.

Both together is an awesome combination...

You can run the PL alone, but trying to watch a laptop screen, would be difficult to do. The PL also adds features to the SM, like WBo2, boost and a few other data streams to go with the origonal ADL output that is seen on a standars SM system.

It does cost a few bucks, but in my opinion, is well worth it if you are looking to maximze your combination.

Mike

Ummm... excuse me for my ignorance... but could you explain the "for about $15 I could get PL" part of your post to an old Turbolink user like me?? :rolleyes: I'm ASSuming the PL uses the DirectScan interface hardware?? Thx!! :redface:

Ummm... excuse me for my ignorance... but could you explain the "for about $15 I could get PL" part of your post to an old Turbolink user like me?? :rolleyes: I'm ASSuming the PL uses the DirectScan interface hardware?? Thx!! :redface:

Toss your old DirectScan stuff and plug in the new PL stuff. All new hardware. No more huge box hiding somewhere. Here's a link:

FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

By "$15 more" I meant, a Scanmaster will cost $249, Power Loger is $264...

But now that I've gotten some input, I'm thinking Scanmaster would be the smarter first buy for a street car, as it is easier to manage on the fly (and on the street). It gives you everything you'll need to do a good tune.... If needed, Power Logger can be purchased later and will accept data from the Scanmaster to give you a more complete picture of what's happening... hmmm...

Thanks for the info guys! Scanmaster it is (for now)....

---Ron

Thanks... (feeling stupid now)... Should you decide to rid yourself of the DS, I'd be interested in buying... I do alot of data acq. in my profession, and Turbolink is ...uhhmmm... a bit slow?? ;) PM me a price if you want.... thanks again, and back under my rock...

.... If needed, Power Logger can be purchased later and will accept data from the Scanmaster to give you a more complete picture of what's happening...

---Ron

Actually the PL has everything directly at the computer, and has 5 additional inputs (WBo2, EGT, MAP, and 2 additional analog inputs that are selectible), and then sends all that data at a 5X per second rate to the SM. The SM display rate is VERY quick.

You have a great idea to get a SM, and then later get the PL as an upgrade...

Mike

I had the same question about which one to get first.

I went with the PL first. I like how you can monitor more and data log also. I think that would be real helpful while tuning so you don't have to watch a guage.
I figure I would get a knock gauge and that would handle the around town driving when the lap top is not hooked up. I figure that is what people seem to use the scanmaster for when driving around town anyway.

Chris

I had the same question about which one to get first.

I went with the PL first. I like how you can monitor more and data log also. I think that would be real helpful while tuning so you don't have to watch a guage.
I figure I would get a knock gauge and that would handle the around town driving when the lap top is not hooked up. I figure that is what people seem to use the scanmaster for when driving around town anyway.

Chris

The SM does show knock but it also records at what speed the highest knock occurred and what the lowest 02 reading was and at what speed. A knock gauge is great for the instant warning but the SM will allow you to slow down and then see what happens. I would recommend first getting a knock gauge, then a SM and lastly PL.

Audible knock detector/ alarm would also be an option to the knock detector gauge with both reading real time off the ECM instead of the delay that you have with the SM. KR can do damage, so I for one want to know that ASAP real time! SM is nice since it's small and compact to mount and keep in the car. Good tool for a street driven TR and yes, I have one.

When the PL displays a WB reading on the SM is it only in real time, or can it play back a run on the SM? Can it hold a max/min value?

When the PL displays a WB reading on the SM is it only in real time, or can it play back a run on the SM? Can it hold a max/min value?

It can't play back. It will give you a leanest condition of a WOT blast, just like it does with the LB data from the ECM before the PL addition.

Mike

The SM does show knock but it also records at what speed the highest knock occurred and what the lowest 02 reading was and at what speed. A knock gauge is great for the instant warning but the SM will allow you to slow down and then see what happens. I would recommend first getting a knock gauge, then a SM and lastly PL.

If I tune with the PL, what advantages would the SM give me over a knock gauge. Since I have the car tuned, my thought would be my only concern is if I'm getting knock for some reason, say bad gas. So I just want to know if I need to get out of the throttle to save the motor. If I have knock all the time and need to know when it is happening, then I just plug the PL back in.

I new to TR's and am just trying to understand what I need. I was thinking the PL and knock gauge is a good combo. You think I still need a SM also. My last real EFI car was a BBC with a 14-71 blower and a FAST system. Once it was tuned I just beat on it. No reason to worry about monitoring the car constantly. So I figure once I get a good tune with the PL, my only concern is if I get knock.

Thanks
Chris

I highly recommend both. If you have a chip that you can change parameters with a PL is a must. It is very easy to use. Its(a) send the chip back to whoever burned it every time you need an adjustment...or(b) do it yourself at the track and keep tweaking until you reach your goal:cool:

The scanmaster is invaluable to me because at the track or daily driving (when I want to play) you can watch 02s and knock. If you tune for no knock 99% of the time you will be safe. You can't watch a laptop going down the road at full throttle.

Two different needs...one for tuning and logging...one for keeping an eye on during WOT blasts to prevent damage.

At least thats what I use them for.:)