Scan Master cord

Turbo6Smackdown

How long was the factory cord on the scanmaster? Mine seems to be about 24" max., maybe even a little shorter. Not long enough :( Was mine clipped?

I don't know what you mean by the title PowerMaster cord?
If the ScanMaster cable is short you can solder it to make it longer and use shrinking tubing for each individual splice and then use a larger one to cover all three wire splices.

Woops, scanmaster I mean. Wow. Gotta get my head out of my duffle bag. Yea, I was going to solder some extensions onto it, but I'm afraid of the grey wire cover being too short too. I'll have to double check.

I'm gathering you don't like to solder some wires, but you're okay with the soldering thing, then replace the whole cable.

Oh no, I'm fine with soldering anything. But I'm thinking that the grey wire cover stuff is going to be too short as well. That's why I'm asking what the factory length was. I'm actually more interested in seeing if this was cut.

Yea. You know, there's the three little tiny wires that are what, red, grey, & black I think? And those are encased within a grey sleeve, or insulation if you will.

Just wrap black electrical tape around the extra length of added wire. It's not that big of a deal, and most of the wiring you will hide it out of view anyways.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Where are you trying to mount it? Just extend the wires like said above and if you want something to protect those wires just get some heat shrink to protect the wires.

The extra length of added wire will be under the dash. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about the grey covering over the little wires. I'm a detail oriented guy. I've spent most of my life in the combat arms in the Army. Can't help it.

The heat shrink works great because it will mimic the outside diameter of the gray shielding if not a little smaller and that will make it easy to route it and keep track of it if you and more gauges or wires later. Just get a het shrink kit that has all the different sizes that way you always have it for other jobs in the future. Don't cheap out on the heat shrink. I've had some stuff you couldn't melt and form with a blow torch.

Maybe you can find a long piece of heat shrink stuff and do the entire length

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

You need not worry about the grey sheathing. having the three wires separated isn't going to hurt a thing, especially since they'll be out of sight. I wouldn't recommend heat shrink as a sheathing, it's too stiff.

It really don't what color the shrinking tube is since it will be hidden underneath the dashboard.
Here is an example of soldering individual wires and then using one shrinking tube to cover all of the splices.

Attachments

• Picture 230.jpg
    Picture 230.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115
  • Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 119
It really don't what color the shrinking tube is since it will be hidden underneath the dashboard.
Here is an example of soldering individual wires and then using one shrinking tube to cover all of the splices.

That's the thing though, mine won't be, as there is barely enough grey wire coating on there now. Mine won't be as hidden as the rest. I chose a different method of routing the wire.
And what's that plug go to? did you wire all your little wires up to one plug so that you can unplug your scanmaster when you want?