SC 3.8 Bonneville - knocking

kgouldsk

Kevin GNCrazy
Does anyone happen to know what the TPS calibration range is on a sc 3.8? I've got a 95 SC Bonneville, and when I get on it hard, it pings like hell at first. I'm going to check my TPS if I can figure out what the range is, and if that doesn't help, check my fuel pressure. Failing that, maybe an O2 sensor. I'm pretty sure it's leaning out - unfortunately, no scan tool to look at. It's not throwing any codes. Any other suggestions welcome.

scan tool first....

After the scan tool, you need to know if your knock is a fuel or maintenance issue.

First troubleshooting should include some very high octane fuel....If the knock goes away, your mechanical parts are working well enough. If you still have knock with high octane fuel, you can start looking for a faulty part, or faulty adjustment....

Race fuel or xylene will do the high octane trick :)

I don't know how TPS calibration would affect your knock....Fuel pressure is a good thing to verify, but I don't know the normal fuel pressure for your car....Somebody on this board probably lives near you and has a scan tool that will scan your car. Post Here or Here or Here to find somebody close to you that can help you with a scan tool.

lee

I agree that the TPS is most likely not the issue.

Is this the Series II? I know it came out in 95 or 96, but not sure in which year, and on which cars. I'm not positive on the Series I, but for the SC Series II, the fuel pressure is around 42 psi at idle, 52 psi at 0 vac/0 boost, and it should go up 1 psi for every pound of boost. That would be a good starting point to check.

If the pressure is low, it could very well be the fuel filter.