sbc conversion questions and thoughts

85blowthru

I'm curious before I start my build. I know my compression ratio should be 9.25 or less, correct? I'm planning on using a 377 sbc that has 76cc heads on it, but has small dome pistons, so I am wondering if I'm wasting my time with this motor if turbocharging it is not even a possibilty. I'm pretty sure it has about 10.25:1 compression ratio.
Any thoughts on whether I should continue with this motor. (It is complete and ready to be put in). Also, I'm trying to do this very inexpensively. I've got a holset h2c turbo that i planned on using.
More questions to come. If this is a go.....:biggrin:
Thanks for your time.

High compression limits the boost. If you just want a turbo on it, put it on and run it at 5#. If you want to make good power, you need to lower the compression. Timing and octane also has a lot to do with it. Pump gas, boost and 10.25-1 don't work well together. C-16 with that compression is OK. Lots of guys who run classes with restrictive turbo sizes run more compression.

If this is a 350-400hp motor what should I expect to see with 5psi. Would it be worth the time?
If I can get 500-600 I think I would be alright with that. But I don't want to blow it up in the first week either......
Would alcohol injection help. and if I put 75-100hp nitrous on there, would that just be completely stupid.:)
Thanks

Stay away from the nitrous with that compression. 10# of boost may get you to 600hp. High octane gas will be a must.

This is a non turboed car. 85 regal that had carbed v-6. Would the stock tank and fuel lines be enough. It appears to have 3 lines to the tank. all on the driver side 1 out of the front cross member (5/16") 2 together aluminum or steel on the frame 3/8" and maybe 5/16". I've got a electric pump, but i'm not sure if the rating is good enough. how many gph and what psi should i have approx. i have a boost ref. pressure regulator already. Thanks in advance Dusty.....
You got a pretty sweet setup. Someday I would love to be able to afford one of those.

Stock lines with a very good pump may make 800hp but I wouldn't trust them. 600hp...yes.....700hp, maybe. If your using a carb you can get away with a smaller EFI fuel pump. It will need to support your hp needs at operating pressure. For example, a carb setup at 700hp, maybe 5-7# of fuel pressure so if you plan to run 15# of boost the pump will need to support 700hp at 20-22# of fuel pressure.

Thanks for the comments.

This is probably the last of the questions for a while until I get into this project. Would a standard holley 750 handle up to 10lbs of boost without any modifications or.....do I need a carb that is designed for this (like one from CSU?)
Would an hei distributor work, or would i need something along the msd line.
Thanks for your time.

I'm not a carb guy but I would not try to blow through a carb that wasn't designed for boost. 10psi is actually a good bit of pressure.

If an HEI distributor can be locked out for a set amount of timing I don't see a problem with it. I can't say if it can be locked out or not.