S2: To intercool or not to.. That is the question

fatride

Throwing the idea of not running an intercooler on the new set up. OC Stage2, Stage headed on E85. The car will only be driven to car shows or cruise nights... Was thinking of a pre alky setup? Looking for Pro's and Con's here....
Thank you!

Why would you want to delete the IC?

Such an amazingingly simple, yet complicated piece of equipment. Plus its almost like free HP.

~JM~

Why would you want to delete the IC?

Such an amazingingly simple, yet complicated piece of equipment. Plus its almost like free HP.

~JM~

Faster Spool up. If you get the charge temp low enough with the meth you could possibly be losing HP on the low end.

I know what Kenny Dutweiller would tell you....."Are you crazy? Intercool the thing!"

How much boost you going to run? If only 10-15 psi, I would run E85 w/o intercooler. Think of E85 as a chemical intercooler. Just be sure you have capable injectors and fuel system. FWIW, I'm told that E85 LIKES to run rich, not lean.

You are going to run FAST aren't you! I have the FAST Touch Screen and can monitor and log A/F on the fly w/o laptop. It is great!!

Also, run aluminum Stage heads.

One final thought, if you don't want all the piping with air-to-air intercooler, how aboyut an air-to-water intercooler. My Ford Lightning has air-to-water and it works great!

Conrad

I would never ever, get rid of any type of intercooler! Period. Conrad has a point, air-to-water intercooler would be a great touch on your car. Just stop and get some ice at the gas sation when you fuel up at a e-85 pump. ;)

Just came back from tuning a methanol burning V6 without an intercooler. Before fuel, the intake temps got up to 108C at just 18 psi boost by the end of the 1/8. He's planning on 30-40 psi. I would be putting an air/liquid intercooler on it for those high boost numbers.
108C = 226F.
Intake air temps with alcohol have got to get pretty low before you start noticing a loss of power because of it. I run nitrous with methanol. Want to guess how cold that's getting? I still run an intercooler core in the system as a heat sink. I'll see 90C by the end of the 1/8 at 30 psi boost.
108C at 18 psi boost vs. 90C at 30 psi boost by the end of the 1/8. I'll take 90C.

Throwing the idea of not running an intercooler on the new set up. OC Stage2, Stage headed on E85. The car will only be driven to car shows or cruise nights... Was thinking of a pre alky setup? Looking for Pro's and Con's here....
Thank you!

You're gay!

Nick, I hear if you stick a rubber chicken, by the intercooler bro! You don't drop temps, but looks really retarted! ;)

Josh