???'s On Replacing Heads Gaskets While In The Car...

I got the GN back together again!!!

Just in time for the local cruise night tonight too! Here are a couple of shots of the engine (sans turbo shield).

The motor runs very nice and smooth, although I do have a little exhaust "tick" to track down and take care of.

John

Attachments

• busters_7.8.2010a.jpg
    busters_7.8.2010a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 260
  • busters_7.8.2010b.jpg
    busters_7.8.2010b.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 266
I got the GN back together again!!!

Just in time for the local cruise night tonight too! Here are a couple of shots of the engine (sans turbo shield).

The motor runs very nice and smooth, although I do have a little exhaust "tick" to track down and take care of.

John

Are you sure it's an exhaust "tick". I have the same thing after replacing the head gaskets which i've been told is the lifters and that i should have oiled them before putting that top end back on. Althought the tick does almost go away after to car gets hot.

Well, It sounds like the ticking noise is coming from the top of the engine :( My friend definately thinks it's lifter noise, and it seems to be getting noisier.

Do I just replace the cam and lifters- Or should I spring for a short block, since my engine has high miles? I'm leaning toward a shortblock...

Dang it!!!!

John

if it's an exhaust tick it'll get louder with more load and go away when you let off the gas and then come back at idle. Big difference I price between a cam/lifter set and a shortblock. Don't freak out about it or make any decisions until you know exactly what the noise is.

In my exsperience, most ticking noises ended up being exhaust manifold gasket leaking, usually after WOT blast. Or a cracked header. Did you clean out the oil pan/pick-up screen, like Paul mentioned?

Chuck

In my exsperience, most ticking noises ended up being exhaust manifold gasket leaking, usually after WOT blast. Or a cracked header. Did you clean out the oil pan/pick-up screen, like Paul mentioned?

Chuck

I was going to ask the same thing. Maybe I read it wrong, but did you powerwash the engine AFTER you pulled the intake off? If you did, then you have a lot of crud inside your engine.