Running rich suddenly

eagleguy

All of a sudden my 86 T Type is running real rich and stinky. Any idea what the culprit might be?

Well I'm not a betting man, but if it was running find earlier, sounds like the symptoms of O2 sensor , the narrative of the chip is failing. You definitely need a scan tool to be accurate.

It's easy enough to check a stock MAF, if he has one.

With the car idling, lightly tap on the MAF with a screwdriver handle. If the car stumbles, the MAF is no good and is at least part of the problem. Dry, cracked vacuum lines are another culprit.

A Scanmaster is a must for diagnosing one of these cars, well worth the investment.

Good luck.

Readings so you can make adjustments IF needed

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

You need a data logger with an after market chip to make changes

The data logger (brand name Powerlogger) works with a Scanmaster and yes, you can use it to tune within certain parameters but that also depends upon what chip you are running.

The Turbo Tweak original chips (5.7 or 6.1) can change timing and fuel parameters using the method and instructions included with them. It's a pretty straight forward process. Turbo Tweak Extender Extreme chips can be tuned via a laptop, as well as the SD2 chip, that supports E85.

I have a turbo tweak chip but not sure which one as it was in the car when I bought it.

ta49 turbo
36# injectors
160 thermostat
100# comp valve springs
turbo tweak chip
fuel pump w /hot wire kit

I have a turbo tweak chip but not sure which one as it was in the car when I bought it.

ta49 turbo
36# injectors
160 thermostat
100# comp valve springs
turbo tweak chip
fuel pump w /hot wire kit

Take a look at the chip, you don't need to unseat it to do so, write down all of the numbers on it and contact Eric via email. He can and will tell you what it is. It might take a week to ten days, but he will get back to you and let you know exactly what you have and what it is set up/tuned for.

He's one of the good guys and stands behind his products.

Take a look at the chip, you don't need to unseat it to do so, write down all of the numbers on it and contact Eric via email. He can and will tell you what it is. It might take a week to ten days, but he will get back to you and let you know exactly what you have and what it is set up/tuned for.

All the info is correct but you have to take the chip out of the socket and give Eric the numbers on the bottom of the chip.

It is fool-prof as the chip will only go in one way.

All the info is correct but you have to take the chip out of the socket and give Eric the numbers on the bottom of the chip.

It is fool-prof as the chip will only go in one way.

Dang, you're right. I forgot his "serial" number is on the bottom (face) side of the chip, all the tuning stuff is hand written on the back or "top" side.

My bad, sorry.

Don't be afraid to unseat the chip, just be careful when replacing it.

I can tell from the limited contact you and I have had, you are meticulous and that there should be no concern in you're removing/replacing the chip.

Go for it.

He's one of the good guys and stands behind his products.

Will do as soon as car gets out of the shop on my brake issue (locked up after new booster install)

In the meantime does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand O2 sensor? Part number would be appreciated.

Last edited: