Running hot!

BuickTV6

kicking butt Intercooled
Ok guys heres the deal. After doing my TM conversion with the electric fan, things seem to be running ok, but i do however notice I start running hot in heavy stop and go traffic. Usually under normal driving conditions I run anywhere from 160-185. But if im in heavy traffic, even for just a few mins, I notice the water guage shoots up as high as 225! The fan is running, and it usually cools it off to about 190. That is even on cold days! I am not sure why this is. I have a 160 degree thermostat. I was told to change to 180 degrees so the fluid in the rad will have a chance to cool off. I am running the stock 84/5 rad still, which is about 5 years old, no more than 10,000 miles on it. Do you think I should upgrade to a bigger rad? The system was flushed and new coolent was added when the top end was off. Are there any suggestions? I am not really sure as to what temperature is overheating the motor, but I would imagine that 225 is getting up there! :eek:
Any suggestions?

The thermostat is installed correctly. I never seemed to have this problem when I ran a 180 thermostat. So what could it be?

I use a 5.0 camaro rad. with rc duel fans. I can drive for 20 min. get out and stick my hand on the radiator and its cool.(comparitively) I dont have a guage but it runs a lot cooler than it did stock. I used to have to let it cool off to even touch the cap. good luck!

My 84 runs hot, too, with the V2. I have eliminated
all the possibilities except that the coolant flow
is restricted by the crimped Tstat housing.
The solution is to relocate the IAC and go back to a stock
or near stock, tstat housing. JS Mfg. is working on this
as part of their modified hot air IC manifold, too.
So, that's the good news.

I have my far share of probs........but I havent had a cooling problem yet with the V2. I have the stock radiator(1yr old) with RC dual fans hooked up to a switch. 160* stat......no probs cooling.........just lots of white smoke....:eek:

You are running the stock 84/5 rad??? That is narrow compared to the 86/7 rad...I would switch to the 86/7 wider rad...Actually, buy the rad for the V8 Regal...You will need the new top plate(upper core support)...It is the same width as the rad that is used on the 86/7 GN/TRs...Get a 3 row and you should be fine...Don't worry about the Tstat if it's new...You just need more cooling capacity...