Roughly how much would it cost?

oehm

Say I where to buy a high mileage GN/ T Type, and the inevitable happens, and the motor needs to be rebuilt. Assuming that it would be built back to factory specs or better, how much money would you be looking at? Would it be better to simply buy a pre-built short/long block? Any comments would be appreciated!

5-7k +- 1k

I had mine rebuilt basically stock with a few safety measures - manley valves, etc. And the total was roughly 7.

I did pretty much exactly as you described. I bought a high mileage GN, that had seen much better days and barely ran with a nasty knock. I built mine with a mild cam, JE pistons, manley valves, had the heads set up etc, all machine work, assembly + miscellaneous parts came to about 4500-5000 dollars. It helped tremendously for time and money that i put the motor in and out myself with the aid of my local garage. It's also something to consider that you will prob get nickeled and dimed with a high mileage car like that when "just doing the motor" finding out you need other things along with it like ign stuff, MAF, etc. HTH, Lee

WOW, those are crazy prices unless I am missing something? I got he following.
bored 20 over
decked
magnafuxed
steel main caps
diamond pistons
complete assembly of longblock (had to mill intake)
obviously all the other fine details, all for $2800.
thats about right for the job.
cya

Originally posted by gnfanatic
WOW, those are crazy prices unless I am missing something? I got he following.
bored 20 over
decked
magnafuxed
steel main caps
diamond pistons
complete assembly of longblock (had to mill intake)
obviously all the other fine details, all for $2800.
thats about right for the job.
cya

uhh i agree!
MY girdled shortblock with .020 JE pistons came in under 1900 bucks, they installed the girdle, checked line bore, i had all holes chamifered, oil holes opened up,bored, cam bearings freeze plugs ect ect- and i had them assemble the long block too-

and for price differences..

i just finished up a stock rebuild for a friend of mines 87 GN

we used the stock pistons, he bought new napa piston rings, head gaskets and bolt kit, napa clevite cam lifter and timing chain kit ,all bearings, oil pickup tube, 1970 small block valve springs-
then we went to parts america and purchased the felpro front cover gasket kit, and pan gasket-
EVERYTHING above cost him around 600.00 for the rebuild-

but i have all the tools to get it done in my garage, thats where it will kick you in the butt!

his car has te45a, napa 204/214 cam,ported lower intake, ART CARR 9 inch non lockup-
last time to the track it was running street chip, pump gas and radials, 2.2 sixty foots 12.90's at 112
not bad for a garage built engine on a budget :)

GEEZE ZUSS ! 4 to 5k for a GN motor rebuild???

I had a nice 455 pontiac done for $3000- That was including buying the virgin short block $250, better heads $150, Summit engine kit w forged pistons $700, Piddly crap (new centerforce clutch, waterpump, starter,etc) & Labor.

What in HExx would make a v-6 cost so much please tell me..:rolleyes:

Cal Hartline quoted me $5K for a 109 block built with some of the best parts (girdle, caps, custom JEs, champion irons, etc) not sure but i dont think he required a core either but i would have to check. he said ways i can save money too (TRWs, no caps, etc) and after i got it all figured out i could have a fully built 109 block, girdled, champion irons, TRWs, etc for about $3K. $7K is a bit high it seems for a stock/mild rebuild. Summit sells rebuild kits for like $800 or so.