Rossler Trans brake current draw?

Quicksilver

I wired a new Rossler trans brake with a 5 amp fuse (18 ga wire on solenoid)that worked for testing with the engine off but with the engine running and trans in gear the fuse blew right away. Does anyone know what Rossler suggests? Can I simply go with a higher rating or do I have a problem?
Thanks in advance, John:confused:

I wired a new Rossler trans brake with a 5 amp fuse (18 ga wire on solenoid)that worked for testing with the engine off but with the engine running and trans in gear the fuse blew right away. Does anyone know what Rossler suggests? Can I simply go with a higher rating or do I have a problem?
Thanks in advance, John:confused:

I've never checked the amp draw but it has to be quite a bit. Several cars I tune with that trans may drop as much as 1.5 system volts when the brake is applied.

Dusty, Thanks for your reply!
Is it common to power the Tranbrake soleniod with a relay or directly thru the momentary switch?

You can wire it direct with the switch, if the switch is rated to handle the current. I used to have mine direct until I started PWing the solenoid. Then I switched to relay control.

If you want to know what the current draw of the solenoid is, take an OHM meter and measure the resistance of the solenoid. Find out what your maximum operating (charging) voltage is with the engine running. Then use the formula, Voltage (E) divided by Resistance (R) equals Current (I). That will give you an idea of what fuse and wiring size you should be running. You will also have a amperage (current) figure to rate your components with.

Same here. My transbrake switch will handle the load and is wired directly to the solenoid. I think I have 14ga wire. It's slightly larger than what is on the solenoid.

OK...The soleniod measured 2 ohms, so that would make the expected current draw to be about 7 amps. Rossler said the current draw should be no more the 10 amps so use a 15 amp fuse.
Thanks for your help, John

OK...The soleniod measured 2 ohms, so that would make the expected current draw to be about 7 amps. Rossler said the current draw should be no more the 10 amps so use a 15 amp fuse.
Thanks for your help, John
If the wire size you're using will take a 15 amp surge, then yes.