Roller lifter ID thread

Flyin Brian

I know these are Comp Cams hydraulic roller lifters but not sure which model number. I have searched on this forum and think they are the 885 but am not sure. These came with a roller cam kit back in 2010 from Cottons and the only paperwork I can find says Comp Cams pro magnum lifters and it lists a bunch of model numbers including 885. A local engine builder originally put this motor together for me back in 2010 but I am putting it back together this time. So are these the 885 lifter and do I really just need 0 to 1/8 turn preload?
DSC04865.JPG
DSC04869.JPG

Can you post better pictures. If they are 885 lifters, you want .030 pre-load at room temp. This is for an iron head - iron block.

more pics.
DSC04863.JPG
DSC04873.JPG

I know they look a little rough. .030" preload with a 20 threads per inch rocker adjuster would be about 2/3 of a turn after zero lash. This is a little more than the 0 to 1/8" turn that Comp Cams says in their instructions. Is .030" preload what works best in your experience with this lifter Dave? Thanks again for your input.

Is the lifter plunger held down with a circlip or a snap ring? From what I understand, low-preload tappets don't use circlips.

I can't tell if it is a circlip or a snap ring. Hard to see. Looks like a large retainer of some type. I will try to clean one out and get a good closeup of the plunger. Is that the area I need to concentrate on to ID it properly?

just a mor
more pics.

I know they look a little rough. .030" preload with a 20 threads per inch rocker adjuster would be about 2/3 of a turn after zero lash. This is a little more than the 0 to 1/8" turn that Comp Cams says in their instructions. Is .030" preload what works best in your experience with this lifter Dave? Thanks again for your input.

What the comp instructions forget to mention is that the engine needs to be at operating temperature. The manufacture recommends .030 preload for Iron head/iron block and preload will be correct at operating temp. Many 885's are damaged by the negative preload. The motor should not get valve train noise at the end of a run. They look like it has a snap ring which would be an earlier 885. A better pic too confirm. Contact me if you like.