Roll master disaster

DCG

Have a new timing set and I can't get the driverside bolt in the cam. Passenger side goes in good. Its like the hole in the cam gear is off a little. Guess it is time to grind the hole oval a bit. Anyone ever heard of this? I don't think it will alter timing because the cam and the other bolt will still locate it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I can't remember for 100% but it seems like the holes aren't exactly 180* apart. Have you tried rotating the gear and seeing if the holes line up?

I have had the same problem before, off enough that when the threads started, it rolled the threads on the bolt. If it's only off a hair, buzzing the tight spot lightly with a die grinder bit may fix it. If you are going to degree the cam, it should not make much difference. If it's way off, you might be better off to return the gear set and get another one.

Before we start dishing out advice on buzzing out the hole I think we need to find out if he does in fact have the gear 180 out....

Thanks for the replys guys. Cam is not 180 out. I lined it up dot to dot took the old one off and tried putting this one right on. I do not plan on degreeing the cam. Its not off much, just a few thousandths. Time to grind.

I'm telling you, don't grind!!!!!!!!!!
Either try doing as earl suggests, or replace that gear.

Have you even bothered to try turning in 180 to see how the holes line up?????

Last edited:
If you are putting the crank gear all the way on and then trying to install the chain and cam gear it will be difficult, you need to slide the crank gear off just a bit and then engage the chain with crank gear while sliding everything on together.

I had one that did that. It was the first time I changed it back over 20 years ago when everyone said you must put in a double roller. I think it was a KB. I sent it back and got one that fit. The hole was off maybe 1/32", the next one fit fine.

I just had one that was the same way. It is off ever so slightly. Like .020 or less. Just enough for the bolt to not start right. I degreed the cam after clearancing the hole and it was within 1/2 degree accurate.

I just had one that was the same way. It is off ever so slightly. Like .020 or less. Just enough for the bolt to not start right. I degreed the cam after clearancing the hole and it was within 1/2 degree accurate.

I've seen varying cam timing using various sets on the same engine back to back and I never had to open any holes up. It's always worth checking cam timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if the gear is mated properly to the cam (not 180 off), there is usually enough clearance in the holes to move stuff around to get both bolts installed without modifying anything.
AG.

I've seen varying cam timing using various sets on the same engine back to back and I never had to open any holes up. It's always worth checking cam timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason the hole was opened up was to allow one of the bolts to start properly. Otherwise it would go in crooked.

Even if the gear is mated properly to the cam (not 180 off), there is usually enough clearance in the holes to move stuff around to get both bolts installed without modifying anything.
AG.

Usually there is but not this time. Unfortunately. This was on a 206/210 roller cam. The cam could have been drilled just a little bit off also.

If the gear is put on the cam 180 degrees out, one bolt will start and the threads for the other one will be almost 1/2" off, and not even visable. If you start one bolt and try to turn the gear on the cam to get more clearance for the other bolt, sometimes that works.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the help. The cam gear fits so tight on the cam I can not rotate it. I have to tap it on to get it to down all the way. Maybe that's more of my problem. Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. This is still the original cam.

Something doesn't sound right. Can you take a picture so we can see what your saying? All the ones I've done I just spun them till the holes lined up.