roll cage

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
at what e.t. is a cage required? i know you need a shaft loop for anything in the 12's, but that's about it.

Say, if you race at the Nats. at Bowling Green you don't have to worry about such unnecessary things as a roll bar!! Who needs it? However, be sure you are legal when it comes to such things as a ported turbo shroud :confused:

Originally posted by CPAKCP
Say, if you race at the Nats. at Bowling Green you don't have to worry about such unnecessary things as a roll bar!! Who needs it? However, be sure you are legal when it comes to such things as a ported turbo shroud :confused:

Don't know if you are just un-informed or trying to be funny?

If you read the current GSXtra, there is an article about being "legal".

It is obvious you do not know how the GSCA class rules are established and changed.

Originally posted by CPAKCP

Very funny. This is a taboo subject, that is not worth your time to bring up, it will not get you anywhere.

It depends but there are also 2 sanctioning bodies to deal with.

Per NHRA web site 11.99 to 11.0 requires bar.

Per NHRA web site 10.99 down requires cage.

Per IHRA 7.49 for 1/8 requires bar

Per IHRA 6.49 1/8 requires cage

I beleive this corresponds to 11.49 for bar

10.49 for a cage.

You can look at one of the rule books and they will tell you all you need to know but this should get you started.

Originally posted by machinegun
It depends ................

Per NHRA web site 11.99 to 11.0 requires bar.

Per NHRA web site 10.99 down requires cage........

Not sure where you saw that info? Please let me know.

The 2004 NHRA rule book requires a cage for 9.99 and faster or over 135 MPH. For stock and super stock classes, where most T-R's fall, only a 5 point roll bar is required.

I am not sure what the tech/safery requirements for BG will be this year other than what was stated in the article. Best thing is to contact them for current information

Nick, The link below goes to nhra's web site where they have a quick reference sheet. This is where I got the info. If you look about 2/3 of the way down it lists roll bar then the nets line is roll cage. You match this up with the times acrss the top. Let me knwo if you have any different info as I would like to be in the know.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html

The NHRA rule book is rather difficult to figure out on many points. That chart is also shown on the last page of the rule book. It also states "In no way is this Quick Reference Chart intended to supercede or replace the current NHRA rulebook."

A new rule was implemented last year that required certain ET class cars 10.99 and faster to have roll cages. These "certain" cars would fall into that catagory if the factory firewall was modified [A/C removal is NOT a firewall mod]. Stock and super stock classes have specific classifications where a cage is required. ANY car faster than 10.0 or 135 mph must have a cage. SOME others also must have a cage at 11.0 or faster, but not all cars.

I verified this with local NHRA tech inspectors and this is their interpetation as well. I know many NHRA stock/superstock participants, and this is how they are set up and race in Divisional and National events.

Local or Divisional tracks and officials may have different opinion?