roll cage ?s

1320n10

What is required in a cage to go 9.90 I was at the fab shop and he was installing a cage and off the main hoop he had put bars down at a 45 degree angle that went into the aera around the mounting point for the lower control arm. It looks like if that was done on a regal those bars would have to be at a angle and would go through the rear seat. Are these bars needed to be a true 8 point cage.

Walt,
Unless something has changed, a hoop, 2 rear bars, 2 frt side bars, a halo connected to the frt lower bar area.. The 2 rear bars can go anywhere rearward, not necessarily to the area of the frt lower control arm. If your frame rail are notched, that would be an area I recommend you support. Otherwise the 2 rear bars should be attached somewhere around the top of the rear springs\top of rear crossmember or I like em on the rear frame rails.

If you tie your rear bars to the upper control arm cross member, you will need to go right thru the seat back. That's what I did. I removed the seat cover and foam from the seat back. I cut the seat frame, bent and welded some 1/4 rod to tie the frame together. I took the seat cover and frame to the local trim shop and they did the rest. It turned out very nice. While you have the seat back out, you can build your firewall and weld, rivet it place.

seat back

Dave

Thanks The bars i were talking about were about 10" up from the floor and came off the main hoop down at an angle toward the trans tunnel through the floor. They were more or less a gusset for the main hoop. I see the nhra rule book shows these and did not know if they were needed in a regal.

sounds like the car may have a ladder bar set-up in it and they are supporting the crossmember off the main hoop

cage

Walt, I had this done last year. A 10 point S&W cage the 2 bars in question will hit the seat. I had to trim 2" off the back side of the seat and it will then fit in the factory latches. The seam above the foot wells has a channel that they welded the bars to.