Rjc 4''maf Pipe And Zo6 Maf

tonys87

im thinking of getting rjc maf pipe since i have a turbo with the H cover and i currently have a 3'' cold air kit..so will i really feel a diffrence in performance with the pipe being an inch bigger? also i have a zo6 maf that i have laying around..i was told i would need a translator plus to make it work. so i want some opinions on guys that might be running the same setup on weather its worth spending the extra 350 dollars{between maf pipe and trans plus} or should i just stick with my 3'' cold air kit with stock maf. also i would love to see some pics of guys running this setup. thanks,tony

im thinking of getting rjc maf pipe since i have a turbo with the H cover and i currently have a 3'' cold air kit..so will i really feel a diffrence in performance with the pipe being an inch bigger? also i have a zo6 maf that i have laying around..i was told i would need a translator plus to make it work. so i want some opinions on guys that might be running the same setup on weather its worth spending the extra 350 dollars{between maf pipe and trans plus} or should i just stick with my 3'' cold air kit with stock maf. also i would love to see some pics of guys running this setup. thanks,tony

i'm in the same boat:biggrin:

In some situations a bigger pipe actaully hurts performance due to the loss in velocity. Something to think about

I noticed a pretty big difference going from stock MAF & 3" pipe to a 4" cold air kit and LS1 MAF. Nothing measured at the dragstrip, just my butt dyno.

Personally, I don't know how anyone can stand the crappy unreliable stock MAF sensors anyway. If you already have a Z06 MAF, you might as well use it.

I was actually thinking about upgrading my 3.5" LS1 unit to the bigger 4" Z06 unit. :cool:

it would be a good ideal to use the Z06 maf i have one on my car and it runs great, just remember to buy the 5 to 3 wiring harness for the maf but make sure that you get it for a 99 and up f-body since it has the extra connector for the air temperature sensor. no need to make a hole in your airfilter for the sensor it runs straight from the maf f-body harness

I got the 85mm maf installed with a base translator last week. My idle problems went away. I would say that this car idles better than off the showroom floor. In the back of the translator there are switches and dials that you can adjust for a ls6 (85mm) maf. With my TT chip and 65lb injectors I'd say it was totally worth it.

Note* The 85mm ls6 mafs are 3.75 inches incoming and 3.5 inches outgoing.

They are 5 pin and you can get a adapter from cottons that allows you to use the intake air sensor built into the maf. That way you don't have to drill holes in your intake tubes. VERY IMPORTANT - you can use the ls6 maf out of trucks and keep the costs down. Mine was under $50 shipped...

I could provide you with pics.

Honestly I wish I done this first, then my turbo and stuff...

Also, mine goes 4" pipe - ls6 maf - 3.5in to 3in adapter elbow - straight 3" pipe - elbow - turbo

Keep in mind that that maf provides enough air to flow a 8.xL truck engine at WOT, I'm sure that it can provide enough air for even 1xxxhp engines.

MIDGAGN...i measured the maf and its also 3.75 in and 3.5 out i guess ill call cottons tomorrow..what do you mean base translator? is it cheaper then what fullthrottle sells? and where do i get one?..what about spool up is it any faster?

The "base" translator is fullthrottle's translator. The 200 dollar one. Worth every penny.

I haven't been able to determine spool time because I swapped the turbo/maf/stall etc. at one time. It idles wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

better.... lol

I just did this swap, I went from having the boost set at ~24psi steady with the stock intake/maf to not being able to control it after the 4" intake/85mm maf swap. Spool up was already pretty quick and was maybe a little quicker but it definately pulls harder up top, and sounds cooler too. It's a tight fit getting the intake in there with the intercooler but it will fit.

Doesn't sound like it would be worth it to upgrade from a LS1 sensor if the outlet is only 3.5":confused: Do they make a true 4" sensor????

LOLGN..i hope i dont have that problem i cant get my boost under 21 now
With that alcohol that's not a big deal, it's when it spikes out of control that it becomes a problem, I saw it zinging up past 28psi on my car before I lifted :eek: No knock though, so I'm working my way up towards that figure.:biggrin: If you haven't ported the wastegate hole you definately will have to if you free up the intake any more.

the zo6 maf that i have is brand new but the harness only has 3 wires..i guess it should have five,so i removed the wiring harness of the maf and it does have 5 pins...my harness must be missing the extra wires for the air temp sensor. can you just go to an auto parts store and buy one or do you have to buy the whole unit?

You have to get an adapter to go from three pin to five pin. It also includes the IAT plug too. it looks alot cleaner and utilizes the sensor in the maf.

Caspers has one part number 108100.

TR, I haven't seen a true 4" delco sensor.

lets say you have a stock GN and want to do this would it have to be chipped for it or would it run fine without it??

You have to get an adapter to go from three pin to five pin. It also includes the IAT plug too. it looks alot cleaner and utilizes the sensor in the maf.

Caspers has one part number 108100.

TR, I haven't seen a true 4" delco sensor.

IM running the FT 4inch with built in.. that sensor is a mitsu I think... I may pull the numbers and see if i can cross ref them on the web, wouldnt take much to fab up the sensor anywhere including the uppipe i wouldnt think but then id just go SD insted of tinkering

Tony, When he says "base translator" that's what I was telling you last night. Don't get the Translator plus, or any other fancy one. The standard or "base" Translator is what you want.
Also, the 3 wire vs. 5 wire deal is exactly what I was trying to remember last night. If they make a harness (Caspers) that allows you to eliminate the stock air temp sensor and use the one in the Z06 MAF, I would do it.