RiverSide Firearms out of Massachusettes

Dreamn4GN

Just inherited a side by side 12 gauge shotgun from my uncle that was my grand fathers when he was a kid. Its a Riverside Firearms production gun. It was Patened april 20, 1915. I havnt got a chance to do any research. I figured Id ask the board if they know anything about it or the company. Has the built in chokes, double triggers. Never had nything like this. I feel so honored to have something like this. My grandfather was like my 2nd dad to me. I plan on taking it to the range to shoot it. And hopefully maybe getting lucky enough to shoot a deer with it. Then put it up on my wall. Any info would be appreciated
thanks

First off....WOA BIG FELLA!!!!! Most of the guns of that era are safe, but you will need a very light load to test it if it hasn't been shot in a long time. The barrels may be damascus or drilled steel but most lkely it's going to be soft and damage may occure to you if you try and use it. One other thing you have to take into account is the fact that most of the guns of that era are also short chambered since the 2 & 3/4" shells came out well after that gun may have been made. Most of them back then were a 2 & 5/8" or 2.5" . Riverside Arms is the J Steven Arms store brand of shotgun produced from 1877 to 1948.

It has been shot with in last 3-5 yrs. I was told it shoots 2 3/4 shells fine. Jus NO mag loads. I was told to only shoot 00 buckshot outta it bc thats what it shoots best. But it can also shoot birdshot. So maybe try with a light load of birdshot. The gun is in great condition. Just has one small area of surface rust on the barrel. I plan on taking it to a gunshop/smith to get it checked out. But I honestly think she will fire without a doubt. It was my grandfather's that used it for small gameand deer hunting, my father also used this gun. Igt has great sentimental value to me. I would love the chance to be able to take it into the deer stand and shoot a deer with the gun and clean it up and put it in the gun rack. Anyway to get them smaller shells Charlie? Bc I have a chit ton of 2 3/4 shells

You can get them in brass for reloading but I don't think anyone is making them now.:( There are some aquila (sp) super short shells out there that you might be able to get though. Haven't seen them in a while so they may be hard to find.

One other thing you might do is a pattern and point of hit check. A lot of the cheaper doubles will hit right on one barrel and the other will be off. You need to use a large piece of cardboard (4' X 4') and at around 20 or so yards fire one barrel. Check where it hits and mark the holes. Then fire the second barrel so you can see if they're in alignment. I had a 20 ga double that was great on the first and the second hit about 2 feet above that. It will also give you an idea of what the pattern is so you know how to use it.:)

You can get them in brass for reloading but I don't think anyone is making them now.:( There are some aquila (sp) super short shells out there that you might be able to get though. Haven't seen them in a while so they may be hard to find.

One other thing you might do is a pattern and point of hit check. A lot of the cheaper doubles will hit right on one barrel and the other will be off. You need to use a large piece of cardboard (4' X 4') and at around 20 or so yards fire one barrel. Check where it hits and mark the holes. Then fire the second barrel so you can see if they're in alignment. I had a 20 ga double that was great on the first and the second hit about 2 feet above that. It will also give you an idea of what the pattern is so you know how to use it.:)
From what my dad said, it shoots really tight. Shot at a paper plate which is about 9" around at 50 yds had 9 of the 12 pellets inside that paper plate. But I will def be pattering the gun once I get a chance to head to the range. Ill keep ya posted

Rst makes some light loads I have shot 2 boxes in the last 2 months out of my Parker double barrel made in 1915 right here in Meriden,CT

Rst is out of PA

Rst makes some light loads I have shot 2 boxes in the last 2 months out of my Parker double barrel made in 1915 right here in Meriden,CT

Rst is out of PA
If you hadn't gotten the AR I'd offer to trade for you Parker, James.:D

My Parker is made in my hometown :) its only a Trojan model but the day I bought it 5 guys from the Parker shotgun club were at the show and verified it was a sound gun to buy. They ring tested it, measured the bores with a gauge , checked the wood over because they commonly crack and looked for pitting and also checked all the screw heads and gave it a clean bill of health. Paid $900 for it and have been trying to hit skeet with it. My dad has 2 Parker's both of his are of a higher grade than mine. I want a Damascus one next . Gotta straighten a few things out and one of those is next. Super happy with my ar . Joined a rod - gun club been shooting a lot the last 2 months and I see lots of improvement in myself. Hopefully will be able to hit a deer instead of just scaring them this year