Rest in Peace Darrell Russell

suprbuick7

NHRA driver dies after his dragster breaks up

NHRA driver dies after his dragster breaks up

Sunday, June 27, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(06-27) 20:52 PDT MADISON, Ill. (AP) --

Drag racer Darrell Russell died Sunday after his car broke up while traveling about 300 mph and burst into flames during a Top Fuel race at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell had crossed the finish line on the quarter-mile strip and deployed his parachute when his dragster came apart in the second round of eliminations at the Sears Craftsman NHRA Nationals.

The car rolled to a halt near a guard wall and the fire was quickly put out.

The 35-year-old from Hockley, Texas, was unconscious when he was cut from the wreckage, immobilized with a brace and placed on a backboard. He was taken by helicopter to the St. Louis University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about two hours later.

Not sure if any of you saw the NHRA race tonight but Darrell Russell, Top Fuel driver for Joe Amato, had a horriffic crash and past away from his injuries. A very sad day for drag racing. He was 35. God be with his family.

Saw it...nothing good comes out of a situation where the rear wing on those cars gets ripped off at that speed. The only good thing about the situation is that I seriously doubt he felt anything judging by the impact he had with the barrier.

Just plain sucks....I hate having to watch things like that transpire...reminds me of Daytona with Earnhardt. :(

I just heard the news myself. That is my home town track. I was there yesterday when he set a track record on his last pass at a 4.52 at 329mph. That is very sad!!!

Originally posted by Maltman
Saw it...nothing good comes out of a situation where the rear wing on those cars gets ripped off at that speed. The only good thing about the situation is that I seriously doubt he felt anything judging by the impact he had with the barrier.

Just plain sucks....I hate having to watch things like that transpire...reminds me of Daytona with Earnhardt. :(

I agree:( My prayers goes out to his family.

Yup just saw it on ESPN2 tonight.... Very sad, but at least the man died doing what he loved!

I couldn't have said it much better. A very likeable driver. He will be missed.

Steve:(

Amen to what you both said. I watched it and was hoping he would be alright cause you get so used to seeing these guys walk away from crashes like that..............very sad.

Keep the Russell family in your prayers.

Damn...seems like last week Blaine Johnson died...now Russell...:(

I feel awful for Darrell and his family, a terrible tragedy for the
whole NHRA family. I've got a sick stomach and a heavy heart
right now, he was a good man.:(

I saw Darrel's accident last night.
It really hits home with me right now as I've spent the last 4 weeks with my girlfriend who is in a coma due to a closed head injury.
My thoughts and prayers are with the Amato team and Russell family.

Sad.................the current issue of National Dragster has his pic on the cover with Joe Amato after his win last week in Columbus.

His first since 2002 and in 22 races.:(

Yup, I had a bad feeling about that accident when I saw it on TV last night. I tried to get into the NHRA website to learn more about Mr. Russell's condition, but it appeared to be so overloaded I couldn't, even with cable.

My thoughts are:

1. Safety equipment or not, TF cars are bombs.
2. I don't know how you could crawl into a TF car the following week, having had time to think about things.
3. Even at 100 MPH things can go very badly.

The announcers were saying a tire blew, but I don't know if that's true, and if it was the cause, or a result of some other cause. Anybody hear?

I went to bed after first round and missed it, but a guy at work said a tire blew and took out the wing.

From what i heard a piece of metal went through the back of his helmet. They found blood back there.

Originally posted by topfuel
I feel awful for Darrell and his family, a terrible tragedy for the
whole NHRA family. I've got a sick stomach and a heavy heart
right now, he was a good man.:(
[/QUOTE

I feel the same:(
This may affect the top fuel rules in the future because they have been trying to slow them down for awhile now:eek: Alot of the tracks they go to were not build for 330 mph:eek: They race here in Seattle at night and ive helped on a top fuel funny car and dragster and they(The drivers)dont like it:mad: Everyone of those TF guys have nerves of steel and are thrill seeker....

All the last crashes in the last year or so have been all from tires going down at high speed and the rubber slings around a revolution or two takes the wing off and the car turns into a dart. The tires are the problem,maybe they should make a rule for small fenders two keep the shrapnel away from the wing. I had a very long discussion about top fuel VS nascar and I think nascar is alot more dangerous.