Requested "special" pictures of my 1,200 mile TTA - Enjoy!

Mike,
Nice photos!
Some day I'll have to go out and take a ton more shots of my car too!
I don't see a photo of the box holding those glasses, but here is mine, that I bought brand new way back when the car was new.
dd47.jpg

My box has cardboard keeping the glasses from hitting each other.
And here's a few plates I have.
1ebb.jpg

I knew about the coil pack, but I didn't want to say anything. Sometimes people get offended by someone saying something.

Enjoy,

George:cool:

George, did you get my e-mail about the 89 Excitement License Plate??

like Jim said, peel off the sticker and use cleaner and wipe off the date and your golden..

BTW- Jim does not know it but he signed off all his cars and stuff to me when he dies... when he was signing a paper for me the other day he did not know what he was actually signing..

Im taking him out to an all you eat buffett and loading up on the sausage and bacon on his plate today.. :biggrin:

George, I've noticed that some people do get upset when you question anything on their cars - But I'm not one of them. I will have to go take down the coilpack pictures though so nobody thinks I'm trying to represent those as original stickers! I did wonder, and now I know.

Jason, nice offer to swap - I will contact the original owner and see what he knows. Maybe he kept the original defective one. Don't know if they can be fixed, but I'd be curious. Sure I could just peel the stickers off my GN one, but then I'd still know :)

You guys will appreciate this - I woke up shortly after midnight, and started thinking of this stupid coilpack, and then I wondered "Hmmm, could you whole engine have been swapped out, and they just kept the '89 heads to make the '87 engine fit? What if it wasn't the coil pack, but something in the engine itself and they used everything BUT the '89 heads in the swap?"

I know it's stupid to stay awake thinking stuff like that. But seriously, how does one check for a numbers matching engine on a TTA? I'm not sure I'll sleep well until I know it's just the coilpack that was swapped. I know it's crazy, but I've always been a bit on the nutty side (or so my wife says)!

Mike M

nahhhhh Make Im sure the original one went bad and the guy replaced it wilth a nos one from a GN.. no big deal..

George, I've noticed that some people do get upset when you question anything on their cars - But I'm not one of them. I will have to go take down the coilpack pictures though so nobody thinks I'm trying to represent those as original stickers! I did wonder, and now I know.

Jason, nice offer to swap - I will contact the original owner and see what he knows. Maybe he kept the original defective one. Don't know if they can be fixed, but I'd be curious. Sure I could just peel the stickers off my GN one, but then I'd still know :)

You guys will appreciate this - I woke up shortly after midnight, and started thinking of this stupid coilpack, and then I wondered "Hmmm, could you whole engine have been swapped out, and they just kept the '89 heads to make the '87 engine fit? What if it wasn't the coil pack, but something in the engine itself and they used everything BUT the '89 heads in the swap?"

I know it's stupid to stay awake thinking stuff like that. But seriously, how does one check for a numbers matching engine on a TTA? I'm not sure I'll sleep well until I know it's just the coilpack that was swapped. I know it's crazy, but I've always been a bit on the nutty side (or so my wife says)!

Mike M

LOL sorry to make you nuts Mike! I'm never tryin to break someones nuts by pointing out things like that. Just like in this case you learned something about the car. I always post tons of pics of my rides for that reason. Someone will catch something I didn't. I would say I'm 99.9% sure that's the only thing changed on that car. You would see many other signs if somone pulled the engine. I remember reading about this car when it was for sale and the guy had a warehouse full of cars. If my memory serves me right he had several GN's. So it's possible they just popped the coil pack off one of them and put it on the TTA. The TTA's do have a vin punched on the block. It's in the same place as the GN's just a different font. It's on the drivers side of the block back where the block meets the trans about half way down. Sometimes you can turn the wheel all the way to the right and with a flashlight see it in there. There is also a vin on the transmission if you wanted to check that as well. I noticed the TTA's vins were not stamped as heavy as the GN's but it's there. :cool:

like Jim said, peel off the sticker and use cleaner and wipe off the date and your golden..

BTW- Jim does not know it but he signed off all his cars and stuff to me when he dies... when he was signing a paper for me the other day he did not know what he was actually signing..

Im taking him out to an all you eat buffett and loading up on the sausage and bacon on his plate today.. :biggrin:

I thought that food has been tasting funny Frank keeps giving me! :eek:

LOL sorry to make you nuts Mike! I'm never tryin to break someones nuts by pointing out things like that. Just like in this case you learned something about the car. I always post tons of pics of my rides for that reason. Someone will catch something I didn't. I would say I'm 99.9% sure that's the only thing changed on that car ... The TTA's do have a vin punched on the block. It's in the same place as the GN's just a different font. It's on the drivers side of the block back where the block meets the trans about half way down. Sometimes you can turn the wheel all the way to the right and with a flashlight see it in there. There is also a vin on the transmission if you wanted to check that as well. I noticed the TTA's vins were not stamped as heavy as the GN's but it's there. :cool:

Now you know what I'll be doing the day after Christmas!! And yeah, I agree - You can never know too much, and it's best to let the experts help you out. I'm never so proud to think I know all that much about anything ...

Mike M

TTA plate

1ebb.jpg

Hey George, I have one of the 89 Excitement License Plate mint. I believe these were NOT avaiable to the public, and were only to be put on the Dealers Showroom cars for display. Each Dealer had to special order these, and they came in sets of 12, so there can't be too many of them left.

Roy

There was one of those plates on ebay not that long ago. Went for like 25 bucks buy it now. One of these days I'm going raid George's house when he's not home and then I'll have every TTA collectiable ever! :D

1ebb.jpg

Hey George, I have one of the 89 Excitement License Plate mint. I believe these were NOT avaiable to the public, and were only to be put on the Dealers Showroom cars for display. Each Dealer had to special order these, and they came in sets of 12, so there can't be too many of them left.

Roy

Roy, could you scan (high resolution) the 89 TA plate .... I'd like to get one done for shows and we could have tvlicenseplates.com do one like they done the indy pcae car and hall of fame plates already.

Hi Jan,
Be careful with doing GM stuff, as they like to sue.
I would wait for one to show up on ebay.

Roy,
I have a bunch from other years as well.
I love collecting all year Trans Am stuff.

Hey Jim,
Let me know what day you'll be raiding my house.
I plan on being back east that day, somewhere around Philly.
What's your address again?:D

Jan, I think the glasses I have are in a plain box - I would have probably noticed writing and/or part numbers, but don't recall anything.

Philly, how big are these VIN number stampings going to be on the block? Is it the whole VIN, or just the last 6-8 characters. I'm just itching to go have a look, and hopefully not jack it up (Unless required).

Mike M

Hey Jim,
Let me know what day you'll be raiding my house.
I plan on being back east that day, somewhere around Philly.
What's your address again?:D

George my address is 1212 mockingbird lane! :D

Mike I can't remember if it's the entire vin or just the last 6 but there is a flat spot right were it meets the trans with it stamped on it. The font is small so it might be hard to see.

Mike the TTA's never got the VIN on the blocks ... these blocks were the crate blocks "left over" and have a special marking casted into them SG1 see Buick V6 Engine Block Guide

Hmm this is weird. I can't see GM letting anything out of their plants without a vin number stamped on it. I was also lucky enough to be in a machine shop that had 12 turbo buick engines on stands. There was several TTA blocks on the stands. The person took the time to show me the difference between the GN blocks and the TTA blocks. He also showed me the vin stamped on the block in the same place the GN's were stamped. I can confirm this because there was a hard top cloth TTA sitting outside and the engine I was looking at was the block out of that car. The vin was stamped right in it and it matched the vin on the dash. I think you have some incorrect information there Jan! Now your gonna make me crawl under the car and take a pic of the vin on the block! :)

What about the sticker on the AC line that says 20th trans am? Its the decal that is located on the line right by the fans.

My 8K tta and my buddies 7K tta both only had a wheel weight on the drivers side front wheel.

Does your car have a jumper harness on the map sensor? As in a 4 inch harness to make the wiring correct?

Got anymore pictures of the car?
BW

the TTA engines have VIN'S.. The one shown in the link was a service replacement block. It was not installed in a car thus no VIN. but the ones that left the factory in a car has to have a VIN