Reproduction power antenna

JC Turbo

Has anyone installed a reproduction power antenna such as the ones Kirban and Highway Stars sell?

If so, other than the mounting bracket was it a direct replacement part? The reason I ask is because Highway Stars mentioned having a qualified audio technician do the installation because of a difference with the antenna coaxial. Just looking for someone's experience with this.

Thanks
John

Has anyone installed a reproduction power antenna such as the ones Kirban and Highway Stars sell?

If so, other than the mounting bracket was it a direct replacement part? The reason I ask is because Highway Stars mentioned having a qualified audio technician do the installation because of a difference with the antenna coaxial. Just looking for someone's experience with this.

Thanks
John

I ordered the direct antenna replacement from Cars LLC and it shipped today. I also have the Kirbans antenna install book. Give me a couple of weeks and I will let you know how it goes. Brad

I am interested in both of your experiences. Mine needs attention too, but I haven't diagnosed it yet. I have read lots of posts about the topic, so I know where to start. However in the event I need to fully replace it, it would be great to have a fresh opinion on how much of a PITA it is and any shortcomings of the kits you used.

kirban 2 cents worth

few years back a company made a reproduction of the power antenna for another GM car that is basically identical to the ones Buick used n our Regals. They worked great for a time however supplier had issues with them. They now have an updated version which is probably the same one all of us is marketing. When I got the first one I gave it to my son who is quite skilled at what he does (does paint jobs on 5 million dollar cars) He fabricated a bracket so the antenna can be bolted into the Regals. I also do another modification where you install the main lead.. I believe we are the only source that does this and supplies directions. Ours is probably priced higher than everyone elses also...

I have no idea on how the other companies explain how to attach it in the car as we have the only one with a custom bracket so it bolts up the factory way.
Frankly the power antenna and its location is a pain to replace. Buick would have been better off if they did what Chevy did and simply not offer it. Removal and install is a real job as you almost have to remove your fender to remove the antenna from under the fender. At the same time hoping you don;t kink your fender in the process.

Its not a huge seller for us but I feel the one we offer would provide the least issues.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

the real trick thing we got coming out will be shown at our Open House and at the TurboRegal event in May.

kirban 2 cents worth

few years back a company made a reproduction of the power antenna for another GM car that is basically identical to the ones Buick used n our Regals. They worked great for a time however supplier had issues with them. They now have an updated version which is probably the same one all of us is marketing. When I got the first one I gave it to my son who is quite skilled at what he does (does paint jobs on 5 million dollar cars) He fabricated a bracket so the antenna can be bolted into the Regals. I also do another modification where you install the main lead.. I believe we are the only source that does this and supplies directions. Ours is probably priced higher than everyone elses also...

I have no idea on how the other companies explain how to attach it in the car as we have the only one with a custom bracket so it bolts up the factory way.
Frankly the power antenna and its location is a pain to replace. Buick would have been better off if they did what Chevy did and simply not offer it. Removal and install is a real job as you almost have to remove your fender to remove the antenna from under the fender. At the same time hoping you don;t kink your fender in the process.

Its not a huge seller for us but I feel the one we offer would provide the least issues.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

the real trick thing we got coming out will be shown at our Open House and at the TurboRegal event in May.
Wait, I just bought the power antenna last week from Kirban and paid more money than hwstars because of the bracket.

Are you saying there is something I'll see at your open house that will make me kick myself for buying this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No my two comments are not related the new project I am working on is a simple project that fits every single G body car ever made and is quite clever. It has nothing to do with the antenna.

The antenna is probably the same everyone sells we just solved the problem on the mounting bracket making it easier for installation plus unless other companies do it we already do the minor modification needed where the cable lead goes.

Again to repeat the new project we are doing is a clever small item that fits every G body car and I expect to have it at our Open House and at Richard Clarks/Turbo Regal event.

Both events back to back is the first time this has happened.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

No my two comments are not related the new project I am working on is a simple project that fits every single G body car ever made and is quite clever. It has nothing to do with the antenna.

The antenna is probably the same everyone sells we just solved the problem on the mounting bracket making it easier for installation plus unless other companies do it we already do the minor modification needed where the cable lead goes.

Again to repeat the new project we are doing is a clever small item that fits every G body car and I expect to have it at our Open House and at Richard Clarks/Turbo Regal event.

Both events back to back is the first time this has happened.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Cool, thanks Dennis. Really looking forward to my first Kirban Open House.

The old antenna was tough to get out but now that I've gone through that experience, putting the new one back in, especially with your nice bracket, should be a breeze.

For those doing this, as Dennis said, don't pull out your fender too far for risk of creasing it. Also, protect the paint on your door and the fender near the area you are working with some painter's tape or thin cardboard or similar.

I just installed the aftermarket antenna I bought from Kirban today. The antenna fits great. The install is a PITA just by the nature of "it's just a PITA" to do this job. My son gave me a hand today and that really helped.

A couple pieces of advice:

1. As you've probably heard before, don't forget to protect your paint - on the passenger door from the mirror forward and on the passenger front fender from the trailing edge forward to however far you want. I go to the GN badge or so.
2. Careful not to pull your fender too far out so you don't make a crease half way up the fender.
3. Before mounting the antenna to the car, I noticed that the holes in the aluminum bracket are not threaded. The star screw acts as a self-tapper so this is understandable. But what I decided to do is to start the star-screw into each hole and "thread them" off the car. I did this just in case I couldn't get the leverage I needed to start the screw in tight confines, awkward position or while jockeying the height of the antenna and starting the top threaded tube piece to get it up and in place.

Anyway, nice part and it's so nice having tunes in the car again.

One more item I forgot. I struggled for an hour to get the connector from the antenna to make good and consistent contact with the plug coming from the car. No matter how I tried to manipulate the plug, the angle, the pins, the wires, put a little electrical grease, tape the plugs in a position to make contact, etc; I could not get repeatable power on, power off, antenna up, antenna down. Most likely this is due to the 29 year old plug on the car and not the antenna.

Not wanting to install the antenna and find out that the next road bump caused a gap in the plug connection and not wanting to do this job again any time soon, I just cut off both plugs and fused the 3 wires from the antenna to the 3 wires from the car. Since its all up top, I can easily, albeit not originally, reverse this if I need to. I hid the wires and it looks fine. Now I won't have to worry about the plug coming loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk