Replacing torque convertor

BADINBLACK6

Going to put a (newer) stock torque convertor on my car this weekend with a friend of mine that has done it before but only once. Is there anything I should or shouldn't do? Any tips or tricks you guys know would be a lot of help. I don't know anything about transmissions so I'm a little scared. TIA
Chris

Yikes

If you don't have a lift and/or a tranny jack then pay someone to do it. Also, make sure you flush the "newer" converter thouroughly, I'm assuming its not brand new....
Be prepared to get fluid on you too! Get some rags.

After cleaning the converter out, make sure you add 2 quarts of fluid (into the converter) to avoid a dry run on it when you start up after your install

just make sure you don't catch the t.v. cable between the engine and trans. i did it myself, and was fighting to get the top bolt in that also holds the dipstick tube for about 20 minutes until i figured out what was wrong.

There are no real tricks. I just put my re-built tranny back in this week. If you have a jack at the back of the trans, slide back the crossmember. Lower the rear of the trans so the whole trans and engine tilit back slightly. This will allow a good clear shot of the bellhousing bolts if you have a long extension and a swivel head socket.

Other than that it is pretty straight forward. I have a tranny adapter for my jack, but I couldn't get the car up in the air high enough. I just, took the plate off the jack, and used a peice of plywood, and did a balancing act. This is not the safest way by anymeans but I have done it in the past on other cars. It is a lot easier if you have help, but I was able to manage by myself. Just go slow and steady taking it up and back down.

The only other thing is to make sure you have your convertor in all the way. Years ago,(first time I tried this) I did not have in all the way and I ruined my pump by putting up the tranny. Exspensive lesson.

Good Luck, I hope this has helped.
Matthew