***Replacing Exhaust System***

TED73

I'm planning on replacing my exhaust system within the next few months due to corrosion. Any recommendation to a reputable GN shop that can do the work? I'm wondering if I should either purchase the exhaust system myself and get it installed or just have the shop take care of the whole thing? I'm thinking of replacing it with a stock exhaust system from the cat back. I'm located just outside of Ann Arbor/Canton area.

Thanks,

Ted:cool:

Best bang for the Buck!

Buy a Hooker exhaust from Summit an get a local shop to put it on for you!

If you want the Y pipe that goes just behind the cat you can have my old one. It has 500 miles on it and is in great shape. I painted it black when I got it.

I replaced it then the over-the-axle pipes rotted away. Sigh...so I just cut off the over-the-axle pipes and left a bit of them and their U-clamps on the Y pipe.

You would need to get the clamps off and remove the cut off sections but a shop could do that. The Y pipe costs about 150 new so that would save you some bucks.

I live in Dexter and work in Ann Arbor so we could meet up if you want.

Renthorin - I might take you up on that offer. Let me look at it tonight to see exactly where the section rotted off. I will definitely get back to you.

Thanks,

Ted

Just buy the Hooker and put it on yourself. Dont trust a muffler shop with their system cause it wont breath like a Hooker or any of the Turbo Buick systems. Its an easy do it yourself project. Unless you can find a shop to put it on cheap.

It is really easy to install an exhaust system. I put the ATR daul 2.5 system on in about an hour.

The hardest part is getting the cat off as the bolts are a PITA. If you want a hand I will help if I am available.

Renthorin - Is the part that you have collecting spiders the same as what's shown in the photo of my car? The photo is taken from under the rear axle looking forward. If so, I would like to have it if you don't mind? You also say it's not difficult to install? I'm wondering if welding is involved.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCF0759.jpg
    DSCF0759.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 172
Yes, it is the "Y" section of that pipe. Your picture also shows the "over-the-axle" pipes too which I do not have.

This would be the piece that connect to the back of the cat and spits off into two pipes. Where you have the U clamps is where my pipe ends.

If you want it you can have it :)

You should not need to weld anything. The hard part is getting the bolts off the converter where the Y pipe connects.

I assume you are also replacing the over-the-axle pipes at the same time? Those could be a pain to get off your existing pipes if not.

Bill

BTW - nice clean car :) Is that car originally from Michigan???

I had a small hole on on the y-pipe which 'kind' of grew recently making the noise unbearable. I am just going to replace that piece. No need to replace the pipes over the axle, hopefully! I was thinking of replacing the system with a stock set up. Than I'm wondering do I really need to do it($$$$)?

If I loosen the clamps, will the pipes seperate? That's why I was asking about the welding.

As for the car, thanks for the compliment. The car is original with just a bit of ~81,00 miles on it. I've been living in MI for almost 3 years now and the car is originally from CT. I believe I'm the third owner and owned it for almost 9 years. I used to put it in car shows but since I moved here, it's been tough. This past summer was really tough since I rarely took it out. The worst since I've owned it:-(. I just take it out when I can. This past weekend was an excuse (nice weather). I see you have less than 38k on yours, wow.

As for your part, maybe we can set something up this weekend. Of course, I'm at work so my home e-mail address is: ted73@comcast.net. I actually live in Superior Twp.

Thanks,

Attachments

• My87GN.jpg
    My87GN.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 188
Ted,

I had the same problem with my Y pipe when I bought it. After I bought the new Y pipe the over-the-axle pipes rotted out at the bottom where the water had been collecting so I replaced the whole system.

The hard part is not getting the clamps off but pulling the pipes apart. The clamps work by crushing the two pipes together and putting a dimple all around the pipe.

I have had to take mine to a muffler guy and have him heat the pipes with a torch and then they came apart. I have no such torch. :frown:

You will also need to get the old sections of pipe off of my Y pipe as I just cut them off with and exhaust cutter rather than try to remove them. I may try to take them off tonight.

Either way, the pipe is yours if you want it. Still may have to take it somewhere to have the pieces separated but at least you will save 150 bucks on the Y piece.

I will be around this weekend if you want to meet up and check out the pipe. Do you know where Dexter is?

I've got my old complete cat back system. Make me an offer. It's nice and solid. I'm in Sterling Heights

Attachments

• stock exhaust.JPG
    stock exhaust.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 128
  • stock exhaust2.JPG
    stock exhaust2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 123
I Can put it on if you need someone to do it. ASE master tech and a GM master tech. Plus I even know what I'm doing.:p Let me know.