Replacement timing cover?

rw87tt

Has anyone had good luck with the after market timming covers? The ones that are not gonna cost you your left not. I was looking at the Dorman brand replacement. Has anyone used this one before? I'm sending back one I got from 1A AUTO. It was not a Dorman. It had alot of play on the pump shaft and the gear was actually below the mating surface of the pump cover. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Has anyone had good luck with the after market timming covers? The ones that are not gonna cost you your left not. I was looking at the Dorman brand replacement. Has anyone used this one before? I'm sending back one I got from 1A AUTO. It was not a Dorman. It had alot of play on the pump shaft and the gear was actually below the mating surface of the pump cover. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The Dorman stuff is made off-shore. :(

Why would you not want the best part available for something as important and crucial as the cover/oil pump which supplies the life blood to your expensive engine? This is not the part to purchase based upon price. :confused:

The best timing cover ever produced is the current TA performance cover. It is machined in-house to tighter tolerances than the stock one. :)

Nick, You're absolutely right about skimping on an item that is so important. I think that there is a good after market cover manufactured somewhere that is as good as the original. TA products I imagine are some of the best and they are proud of them. I have bought some of their products and have gotten great service from them. I was hoping that someone would give me some feed back on good covers that are available out there that they have used and reasonably priced. Thanks turbo nasty for the site. There is lots of good stuff on there.

I agree with Nick, TA makes QUALITY parts, the front cover is a real MF to R&R, you really want to install one time to keep your sanity. This is one part you absolutly do not want to skimp on.
Mike
Voice of reason

TOOMANYTOYS, I'm not really sure I need to replace mine. And I might still reuse it. With the drive gear installed. The side clearance is about .006 since there is some play on the shaft. The local machinist that I deal with thinks that even a new one will still have some shaft side to side play. On mine it is a difference of .004 on the gear side clearance. The other machinist at the shop said he thought it was ok and that it looked worse than it was because it was dry. He put oil on it and it did make a difference. He also said that once the pump cover is bolted on it will stabalize the drive gear. I have a high volume kit and I might install it due to the larger clearances. My car used to make a clanking noise around the timing cover area and then it would go away but I always thought it was my cam sensor. I'm undecided. I might still get a new one.