Replacement for Exhaust Crossover Bolts

Cryptic

It looks like the original GM part (14060130) for crossover pipe bolts is discontinued.

The description is "Bolt,Hexagon W/Torx M10X1.5X40 33.5Thd 10.9,Phosphate Zinc Organic." I've reached out to Fastenal and I'm going to call a few other places which have M10x1.5x40 bolts but they can't speak to how well what they have would work on exhaust with heat and corrosion.

It looks like there's two listings on eBay for them. Outside of that, any recommendations on sourcing an alternative?

This place is still listing them:

That said, it's just a bolt. If you're doing a concours restoration, find some in the junkyard, and clean/plate them yourself. Otherwise, just go to McMaster and get some new bolts.

Here's a zinc coated grade 10.9 in the size required, $0.79 each in packs of 10.

This place is still listing them:

That said, it's just a bolt. If you're doing a concours restoration, find some in the junkyard, and clean/plate them yourself. Otherwise, just go to McMaster and get some new bolts.

Here's a zinc coated grade 10.9 in the size required, $0.79 each in packs of 10.
That's perfect. Trouble is finding the right coating so that I don't have to fight to get these out next time around or ruin the threads like last time.

That's perfect. Trouble is finding the right coating so that I don't have to fight to get these out next time around or ruin the threads like last time.

The zinc is pretty much so the bolts don't rust in storage before installation. A few heat cycles and some moisture and it'll be gone.

What you really need is a high nickel anti-seize that can take the heat, like this stuff:

!!

What's that packet of stuff that comes with the oxygen sensors, copper colored. Why wouldn't it work on those bolts. As far as finish, I've had good luck spraying with say black Krylon satin finish and than baking in the oven at about 150 iirc for 30 minutes or so. Soaks right into the bolts and gives that black oxide finish. Lasts for years but not sure about the heat from the exhaust burning it off.
P.S. Wait till the Mrs. leaves and be sure to try to air out the oven!!

What's that packet of stuff that comes with the oxygen sensors, copper colored. Why wouldn't it work on those bolts. As far as finish, I've had good luck spraying with say black Krylon satin finish and than baking in the oven at about 150 iirc for 30 minutes or so. Soaks right into the bolts and gives that black oxide finish. Lasts for years but not sure about the heat from the exhaust burning it off.
P.S. Wait till the Mrs. leaves and be sure to try to air out the oven!!

That's copper based anti-seize. Usually only good to about 1500 degrees.

No coating that can be cured in a household oven is going to stand up in an exhaust application for a turbocharged vehicle.

I guess I'm confused. If you can buy replacements for $.79 - $1.49 each, who cares if you have to replace them down the line again? It's been 35 years and you're on your first go around here. How many times do you think you will have to do this again? :)

Jus' sayin'.

Last edited:
I guess I'm confused. If you can buy replacements for $.79 - $1.49 each, who cares if you have to replace them down the line again? It's been 35 years and you're on your first go around here. How many times do you think you will have to do this again? :)

Jus' sayin'.

It was just such a pain getting the old bolts out. I'm worried about next time it being even harder or breaking something resulting in things getting stuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 years and this is the first time you've had to do this...........

That's all I'm saying..............:)