Replaced Timming chain, now I need help priming oil

While the timing cover was off you should have packed the oil pump gears with vaseline.
Do you have an oil pump priming tool?
Do you have an oil pressure gauge?

You need to remove the cam sensor and spin the pump drive gear with the priming tool attached to a drill.
I believe you turn it clockwise the drill will get some firm resistance when it pressureizes and w/ key on you can see a pressure reading (if you have a gauge). You may or may not have any oil left in the chamber for it to prime.

I havent tried it myself but you may be able to back fill by sliding a piece of hose over the oil filter fitting and pouring oil in. then put a oil filled filter on, them use the priming tool.

If you choose to just disable the fuel pump and you crank and crank the motor to see if it primes and doesnt it isnt the best IMO.

Boy that brings back memories. And I will not tell what I did due to sounding dumber than I already am. But It worked and that's what matters.

I have never primed my pump from having the front cover off but have done it a bunch of times due to it sitting in the garage for too many years. I use the drill method and a home made tool. It does rotate clockwise and you can tell when the pump gets primed, you will feel the drill bog down. If you want to try this, let me know and I can give you more details on making the tool.

I can get an oil primming tool. So all i need to do is just use it for a few seconds and the oil pump will be primmed?

I can get an oil primming tool. So all i need to do is just use it for a few seconds and the oil pump will be primmed?

Depends.. you may end up having to drop the pump housing and pack it with vaseline.

I have never packed or back filled an oil pump in any engine - they have always had no problem pulling the oil up and pre-lubing the engine.

Just thought I would let everyone know that Auto zone rents this tool for free if you ever need it.( at least mine did )

Bryan

I have never packed or back filled an oil pump in any engine - they have always had no problem pulling the oil up and pre-lubing the engine.

i used to pack the pump housing with lubriplate or other light grease because i read thats what should be done----------then one time i thought i would give it a try without packing it anyhow----------it didn't seem to make any difference and it primed like normal with a drill------in just a few seconds-----that was over ten years ago and i have not packed a single one since-------i have done dozens of engines since and never had a single problem--------the pump seems to easily pull enough vacuum to prime with a drill-----------i could see where cranking the engine with the starter might be marginal due to the slower pump speed, and it could possibly not prime fast enough or even fail to prime at all if it were not packed with grease------i do know one hardheaded mechanic that lives in greensboro that built a turbo motor around 93/94 and he actually started the engine counting on the pump to prime--------it wasn't packed----------the engine failed to prime and it started running and had no pressure-------one of the rod bearings failed in about a minute and it started knocking------i was somewhat new to engine building at the time and i found it very interesting............RC

i used to pack the pump housing with lubriplate or other light grease because i read thats what should be done----------then one time i thought i would give it a try without packing it anyhow----------it didn't seem to make any difference and it primed like normal with a drill------in just a few seconds-----that was over ten years ago and i have not packed a single one since-------i have done dozens of engines since and never had a single problem--------the pump seems to easily pull enough vacuum to prime with a drill-----------i could see where cranking the engine with the starter might be marginal due to the slower pump speed, and it could possibly not prime fast enough or even fail to prime at all if it were not packed with grease------i do know one hardheaded mechanic that lives in greensboro that built a turbo motor around 93/94 and he actually started the engine counting on the pump to prime--------it wasn't packed----------the engine failed to prime and it started running and had no pressure-------one of the rod bearings failed in about a minute and it started knocking------i was somewhat new to engine building at the time and i found it very interesting............RC

thats a good one. anyways prime with a drill .once it bogs the drill down you have pressure but i would look at your oil pressure gauge. once you have pressure your good to go. also +1 on renting the oil priming tool from autozone. it will only cost you the tax.

thats a good one. anyways prime with a drill .once it bogs the drill down you have pressure but i would look at your oil pressure gauge. once you have pressure your good to go. also +1 on renting the oil priming tool from autozone. it will only cost you the tax.

Agree or the drill smokes, that's what happened to me :) Also look for oil thru all the push rods.

also like to turn engine over by hand while the drill is running - makes sure all the oil passages are full and flowing

You are correct sir...I forgot that.

if it was a fresh motor i would have told him to turn the motor over by hand but he is just trying to get pressure after replacing the front cover. also +1 on the smoking drill. i wasted my drill it was smoking so bad.

It was funny when the drill smoked but I used it last week, oh yeah it still works. :smile:

I do not let it (the drill) crank for much more than 30 seconds under load - take it out and let it run at 1/2 speed with no load to help cool it down and then pump some more oil.

Or just use a HD 1/2" 650 RPM drill.

what i did was cut a hole in the lid of the oil container and stick the top oil cooler line in there and turn the bottle upside down with a rag around it so it doesn't leak. spinn the drill counterclockwise until it bogs. re- attach the oil cooler line to the radiator and spin drill clockwise until the oil flows.. worked great and only took a few seconds to get the motor primed and no need to pack the oil pump.