removing tranny at home

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I need to pull my tranny to get some leaks fixed. All I have is jack stands. Am I going to run into and insurmountable issues??????

TIA

It's not bad at all, I swapped mine out as well, I made a thread about it. Dave husek helped with recommendations on how to make it safe, Dave husek actually does his on Jack stands as well. Look for my thread in the transmission section

It's not bad at all, I swapped mine out as well, I made a thread about it. Dave husek helped with recommendations on how to make it safe, Dave husek actually does his on Jack stands as well. Look for my thread in the transmission section
Dave's way works I would just go a little higher than he recommends.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Dave's way works I would just go a little higher than he recommends.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
I had a ton of Room but the main thing I did he suggested was put rims under the rear tires so it supports the rear end and prevents it from moving.

It was sketchy for me since I don't do it often, but it works and I felt save under it.

Thanks!! found your thread, but not Dave's. One thing I didn't see mentioned was the dip stick tube. I assume it needs to be removed, how hard is that?
And one other thing that bothers me is the TV cable penatration point. How's that disconnected?

Make sure your jacks are high enough to clear the bell housing once its down on the ground, cardboard helps it to be slide out from under car. Getting it on and off the jack is a PITA. Once the pass side upper bellhousing bolt is out then you can pull the dipstick.

It's heavy. I put all four tires on rhino ramps so I have room under the car. I bought a floorjack attachment that made it a platform to pick up the trans flat. However, had to slide it on the jack from under the car to reinstall, which, was next to impossible because its heavy. Second person and some 2x4 to leverage walk it up onto the jack really helps.

I disconnect the TV at the throttle linkage, then use a 10mm wrench to undo the cable housing at the trans. Wiggle the housing out of the trans case, it you will see the eyelet end of the tv cable with a hooked wire through it. Just slide the eyelet off of the wire. Pick up some vacuum plugs and use them to cap off the cooler lines. 4ft extension with swivel, and 6 point socket is your friend for the bellhousing bolts.

Pull the dipstick itself out before you start. Once the bell housing bolts are out so the support tab on the dipstick tube is free the tube just pulls out of the rubber grommet in the transmission. I think it comes out the top easier, if you don't have the car so high it's out of reach, but that's up to you.

Buy a transmission jack from Harbour Freight use and return it if you like.Also install the dipstick tube in the transmission before you bolt it to the engine.

I used my girlfriend, a Jack and a block of wood. You don't need a tranny jack

All this talk about Bruce Jenner?

I've been R&Ring transmissions on my back for 35 yrs. No sweat.

OK......OK.....lots of sweat, but doable.

I built an adapter for my existing floor jack. If you use a trans jack or something else you have to have the car higher to get the trans out from under it. If you're careful you can remove the DS front tire and snake the bellhousing out through the wheel well.

Just watch the video, it only takes twenty minutes. Hahahah. I switched mine from one car to the other in june. Just make sure you get it high enough to start and catch as much fluid as you can. Tough job, on a scale on the ground prob a seven. Just take your time and be safe.

i don't use a trans jack....two ratchet straps from frame rail to frame rail...after the trans is free, lower it onto a sheet of cardboard and slide it out.

i don't use a trans jack....two ratchet straps from frame rail to frame rail...after the trans is free, lower it onto a sheet of cardboard and slide it out.
Cool idea, never thought about doing that. Hopefully I am DONE laying under cars and trucks (for friends). 55 today. Stick a fork in me, I'm DONE!

Not sure I understand how that works. The ratchet straps I've ever used ratcheted tight, but not loose, if you know what I mean. To loosen them you just throw the bail all the way over, and it lets loose of all tension.