Remove the heat shield and racket??

Dr. Jeckel

I am about to replace my stock turbo with a TA60 and was thinking about leaving the heat shiel and bracket off. I was wondering if anybody has had a header crack because of removing the bracket and any other problems related to removing the heat shield? I have read a few posts but they don't have alot of responses. Also how long does it usually take before the exhaust housing starts to rust and look bad(I live in a very dry area)? Thanks, James.

I don't like leaving the bracket and shield off. I'd say with the thermal cycling the turbo sees, an untreated housing will be rusty pronto, regardless of your typically dry weather.

I know guys get away with it, but I don't like the idea of a 20 pound turbo cantilevered off a crappy 409 manifold. And I don't like the heat shield missing, especially from a street car where things under the hood pretty well cook, especially in Texas...

I was thinking the same thing but i look at both the T-types that have been feature cars in GMhightechperformance magazine and both have no turbo bracket. They are probably not worried about cracking headers because their's are aftermarket though. There comprsessor housing also look brand new and mine being a daily driver wouldn't look pretty for long, like you said. I think I am going to keep it. Thanks for swaying my decision, James.

I haven't run my bracket for the past 8+ years, however, I'm convinced now that I should. I recently noticed that I have too much movement of the entire assembly, and it's only accentuated with hard launches. However, you won't be able to run the shield w/ a THDP or equivalent, unless you have the side cut open, to allow for the bigger DP to fit. The Stainless shield is very hard to cut, w/o a good cutting tool/wheel, or plasma cutter.

The shield is optional in my opinion, but, I'm not a show quality vehicle either. Keeping the bracket will save you some headaches further down the road.
I'm definitely putting mine back on, as soon as I dig it out of storage.

??????

No shield can heat the underside of the hood to a point the liner retainer plugs will melt. No liner? then it can melt the paint on the hood...

No bracket can allow enough header flex, especially w/ a larger turbo,[as in more wt] to create cracks in the header bellows, and welds.

;) ;)