Reman Power Steering Pump Whine

granatl

TRCM Author
I've replaced my GN's power steering pump 2x in the last week with remanufactured A1 Cardone parts. Both units are whiny like a school girl! I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or they're just bad rebuilds; the current one at least seems to allow smooth steering whereas the previous one was choppy. With both rebuilds I used fresh power steering fluid (and not tranny fluid); and this time around I changed the pressure line as well, since it was looking bad. As instructed I filled the reservoir and then manually turned the pump pulley to help circulate fluid.
Any ideas?

i actually just bought one of a member..he got it from gbodyparts. its a ACdelco its brand new and i heard they are very hard to come by. i also seen yesterday that nos4gn carrys the same unit for 125.00 also a ACdelco. i hope that the ACdelco is a better quality then your Reman.

i actually just bought one of a member..he got it from gbodyparts. its a ACdelco its brand new and i heard they are very hard to come by. i also seen yesterday that nos4gn carrys the same unit for 125.00 also a ACdelco. i hope that the ACdelco is a better quality then your Reman. are you sure your pump is the reverse kind?

Do you have the old -style fluid reservoir with the inlet and outlet over/under? They will cause power steering whine. The replacement units with the side-by-side inlet/outlet nipples don't whine.

Ignore it for it for at least a couple of weeks and it will probably go away once all the air bubbles stop causing cavitation.

supposed to turn the wheels left to right a few times to get the air out, with out the engine running.

If all else fails, get some Lucas Power Steering treatment. Mine whined when I replaced the reservoir, Lucas fixed it up fine.

Do you have the old -style fluid reservoir with the inlet and outlet over/under? They will cause power steering whine. The replacement units with the side-by-side inlet/outlet nipples don't whine.

I know GM recalled that old style power steering reservoir, but I have one on my 86 and there is no wine. My mechanic said he has had many problems with Cardone reman units. I would go with GM if possible.

The 2nd Cardone unit is failing too. When cold, there's NO power steering. What a POS. As for the reservoir, I do have the more modern side-by-side nipples (why does my post sound X-rated?).

If all else fails, get some Lucas Power Steering treatment. Mine whined when I replaced the reservoir, Lucas fixed it up fine.

EXACTLY what the tech @ Borgeson told me about the LS style pump and the noise with the Saginaw 500 on my 55. [Mine was so bad, it helped but didn't cure it.]
I ended up changing pumps.

USE A DELCO PUMP!! Mine was $156.00 incl tax, from the local Chebby dlr.

I got a reman too. It whined for a while then went away or so I thought. Now I switched to the hydroboost and the whine is back.....oh well. I'll try the lucas, if it doesn't work I'll just have to live with it for a little while.

When I removed and replaced a unit I used 50% trans fluid (its OK) it helps reduce foaming and gets rid of the whine.

I got a reman too. It whined for a while then went away or so I thought. Now I switched to the hydroboost and the whine is back.....oh well. I'll try the lucas, if it doesn't work I'll just have to live with it for a little while.

Hydroboost can introduce whine you didn't have before. Make sure you have nice clean routes for your hoses and that none of them are kinked causing starvation. A lot of people will add a second port on the reservoir to eliminate having to use a tee for the return. It seems like it is the luck of the draw ... mine has a stock pump and stock unmodified reservoir with no whine. Your '86 may have the older style ps reservoir.