Rebuilding stock front control arms

NicksTurbo6

Hey guys, I will be doing a front brake upgrade soon and pulling off my stock spindles, so why not install new bushings and ball joints while in there. Has anyone ever replaced the front control arm bushings and ball joints? Can it be done at home, or does a shop need to remove and press the new bushings in?

you can do the upper arm bushings with an air hammer, the upper balljoint comes out after you grind out the factory rivets, and you need a press of some sort for the lower bushings and balljoints.
i have one of those big C clamp balljoint tools that i picked up for $20 at a garage sale. it came with a bunch of spacers to do various jobs, but i've had to make some of my own out of chunks of pipe and steel...
clamp it in a bench vice and it's easier to work with than if you just have it flopping around. you have to be careful to apply the pressure in the right places so you don't wreck the arm. using an impact wrench to tighten the clamp is easier than manhandling a breaker bar, but you gotta be careful...
this same tool comes in handy for doing other things like u joints in the driveshaft, too..

http://m.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

image_11223_zpsa3349ffc.jpg

I bought one of these about 20 years ago. It has pressed in and out countless front end bushings and ball joints in addition to many other things. I did have to replace the jack but for the price it has paid for itself many times over.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited: