Rebuilding ATR wastegate?...

I heard he was still doing them too. Good thing too. He did a great job on mine. Might need him again someday. ;)

The ATR gate is a POS. I will be replacing mine with a Turbonetics Racegate soon.

I rebuilt mine myself with a new guide, valve and diaphram. This is just a poor design......period.

Dave

Gate

Well, that's good to hear, at least if need be I can get it fixed.

turbodave231, how much were they? If I can do it myself I would rather, do everything else myself. Where did you get them, limit?

I guess my creep could be the WG hole, it's a stock turbo, untouched. Assuming I have everything connected right. Don't have any intructions...

I bought the parts from ATR. Not hard to do......but a total waste of time and money. The Turbonetics racegate is not a direct bolt on, but it is real close.

Advice: Dump the ATR gate and buy anything else..... it has to be better!

Dave

Re: Gate

Originally posted by Morkai
Well, that's good to hear, at least if need be I can get it fixed.

turbodave231, how much were they? If I can do it myself I would rather, do everything else myself. Where did you get them, limit?

I guess my creep could be the WG hole, it's a stock turbo, untouched. Assuming I have everything connected right. Don't have any intructions...

I would open up your WG hole first. That is the most common problem with boost creep.

I rebuilt the gate I'm using now, it's not hard. I got the repair kit from Cotton's. IMHO it's the high exhaust temp that ruins the gate. The valve seems to be ok after hard use, but the surrounding metal pits and the seat gets ruined.

I can't say I've had a problem after the rebuild seems just fine up to the 24 psi I've used it. Have it machined flat to eliminate the little holes the hot exhaust gasses will creep into and eat away.

Just like a hg, if there's a little crevice those hot corrosive gasses will find it and start to pit the metal...

I haven't used a gasket, but maybe a copper gasket will help in keeping it ship shape...

I just ordered ATR's headers, downpipe and waste gate. Are the problems with the w/g just on their older style ones or on the new ones also? Should I dump the ATR w/g and go with another brand??

Mine has worked fine for me. I had to get it rebuilt once in the 8 years I have had it. Other than that it has been good to me.

i am also running an atr waste gate and am curious wich waste gate will work without having to change my flange on my cross over pipe or for the other intercooled guy's what will work wihtout having to change there dp i have had a lot of spool up problems since going to this waste gate