rebuild question

jsmith

Didn't get to drive the car much this summer but noticed everytime i did and backed it out of the garage it sounded like rubbr bands stretching. Then the last few times I have driven it when I park it and shift from drive to park I have a rattle, sounds like the exhaust rattling, only lasts for a few seconds, checked and everything I thought might be rattling is tight. After some more investigation I thought t was maybe a loose converter bolt. I have had what I thought was a trans pan leak that I have been chasing for some time, so I finally got off my as# as took it to the trans shop, having them stop the leak and check the noises. I was hoping for the best but thinking the worst. The worst happened, tran guy says the rattling nooise is the converter coming apart, and the reverse noise is bad things also, my leak isn't the pan gasket but the pump. Car has 135,000 miles on her, to my knowledge the trans has never had any serious work done to it. Diagnosis was I have a tired worn out trans.

Given an estimate of $1500.00 to rebuild with stock converter and a couple hundred more if I want a different converter. Never had any trans work done before, does this sound right for pricing? And do you buy the diagnosis of the issues I was experiencing? This is a very reputable shop here in town.

If I do rebuild, should I step up the converter? I'm still running the stock turbo but wanting to step up to a ta-49 at some point. All the other usual upgrades. The car is mostly street driven with the ocasional trip to the track for a test and tune night.

Would appreciate some insight and opinions on my problem and options.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Didn't get to drive the car much this summer but noticed everytime i did and backed it out of the garage it sounded like rubbr bands stretching. Then the last few times I have driven it when I park it and shift from drive to park I have a rattle, sounds like the exhaust rattling, only lasts for a few seconds, checked and everything I thought might be rattling is tight. After some more investigation I thought t was maybe a loose converter bolt. I have had what I thought was a trans pan leak that I have been chasing for some time, so I finally got off my as# as took it to the trans shop, having them stop the leak and check the noises. I was hoping for the best but thinking the worst. The worst happened, tran guy says the rattling nooise is the converter coming apart, and the reverse noise is bad things also, my leak isn't the pan gasket but the pump. Car has 135,000 miles on her, to my knowledge the trans has never had any serious work done to it. Diagnosis was I have a tired worn out trans.

Given an estimate of $1500.00 to rebuild with stock converter and a couple hundred more if I want a different converter. Never had any trans work done before, does this sound right for pricing? And do you buy the diagnosis of the issues I was experiencing? This is a very reputable shop here in town.

If I do rebuild, should I step up the converter? I'm still running the stock turbo but wanting to step up to a ta-49 at some point. All the other usual upgrades. The car is mostly street driven with the ocasional trip to the track for a test and tune night.

Would appreciate some insight and opinions on my problem and options.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
You can buy a much better trans than that and it will be much stronger from any one of the vendors on here. I wouldnt spend $1500 on a stock rebuild/converter or anything near a stock rebuild. For a few hundred more you can get a billet shaft forward drum in and have it dual fed

Overpriced. Call Vince Janis, or one of the other known transmission builders.

If you don't chances are you will regret it.

Thanks, I was checking out the vendor links, which is janis associated with? Which others do you guys recommend? I don't doubt this guys diagnosis, I was suspecting what he had told me but would really like to go with a good reputable tranny from the buick community.

Thanks again

Jeff

I don't know if Vince is listed there or not, he's about 3 hours away from you in Akron, OH.

330-753-6609

Jeff,
Are you in Clinton Twp?
Shoot me an email. We can check out what you have going on.

Brian

Thanks Brian, you were the first one I thought of when this started going down. I needed to change my profile, we moved about a year and 1/2 ago out of michigan, we are across lake michigan now in northern wisconsin. So, thanks for the offer but we are a little ways apart now. I canvassed the chicago and milwaukee guys and have found someone nearby. thanks for the thought though.

Jeff