Reasonable price for getting AC working

87GNT

Hello -

I have an 87 GN and I have installed a new AC compressor so I assume the entire system will have to be prepped and charged. I am not very familiar with all the steps involved so can someone tell me what I would be looking at from a price perspective to have a shop do the work?

Again, I have installed the compressor but the lines have not been installed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and time.

I would replace the lines if they are not new, as well as the orfice tube and accumulator. If your condensor is OEM the aftermarket one is multi-pass vs single pass, much better for 134a unless you have r12. Evac and recharge was $125 plus refrigerant, probably 2-3 hrs labor to install the rest of the stuff. Most shops are new atleast $100 per hr.

I would replace the lines if they are not new, as well as the orfice tube and accumulator. If your condensor is OEM the aftermarket one is multi-pass vs single pass, much better for 134a unless you have r12. Evac and recharge was $125 plus refrigerant, probably 2-3 hrs labor to install the rest of the stuff. Most shops are new atleast $100 per hr.

Ok so roughly at 3 hours at $100 per plus $125 so between $500-$600 ok thats about what I am being charged. Thank you sir!

When mine went out last year , it was 30 years old , I bought the complete kit from NAPA and had a certified guy here in my home town to install it , it was 250 $ ish for the kit and 200 $ or so to install .

When mine went out last year , it was 30 years old , I bought the complete kit from NAPA and had a certified guy here in my home town to install it , it was 250 $ ish for the kit and 200 $ or so to install .
What was included in the complete kit?

it was a complete kit , I'm sorry I can't remember all the details . I just picked it up and carried it the guy to install . All the parts places carry those kits and they come with a 2 year warranty . I bought the same kit and had the same guy install it on my 96 F150 bout 4 years ago and haven't had any problems

Make sure you replace the dryer, the shiny aluminum canister at the firewall passenger side. If should be black if you want it to look original. Paint it or not.

My local library has a text book on a.c. repair. Harbor Freight sells the gauges and vacuum pump. I think Amazon also sells the book. You should be able to save some money doing it yourself.