Rear main seal

Been doing lot of reading up on the rear main seal but still wonder if I should go the extra mile to make sure the seal is good. When the car is running oil will drip on the cross pipe and some how get on the fly wheel which will make a perfect line on the drive way. At first the car use to drip a bit of oil after I boost up and stop driving the car. I remember playing with oil pan gasket. After that I started to see the perfect straight line. I'm guess since I'm going to replace the oil pan gasket should replace the rear main. Basically what should I look for in the oil pan?

IMG_2940_zps2f5fdc85.jpg
IMG_2933_zps950deb71.jpg
IMG_2942_zps4254ad1b.jpg
IMG_2944_zpsab5d469b.jpg
IMG_2939_zps09454be7.jpg
IMG_2936_zps14178b42.jpg

I just replaced my rear main seal last year. I needed my transmission rebuild,now there's no leaks, U have to disconnect and move the transmission away alittle from the engine to replace the rear main seal... I used the felpro replacement seal from nos4gn. good luck

Last edited:
How many mileage on engine, and is it all stock?
You don't have to remove the transmission, or lift the engine up
When I replaced the rear end seal, the oil pan cover was rubbing a little against the frame, and I still didn't have to lift the engine.
If you're unsure if the seal is leaking or not, why not replace the oil pan gasket, make sure the oil pan cover is seal and not leaking, before making that decision of replacing the rear end seal.
If you feel you still need to replace the rear end seal, then here are some more info to read.
Keep in mind the photo and description is for TTA which that car has to lift the engine in order to remove the oil pan cover.
Take you time, have patience and ask many questions if you get stuck
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/rearmain.html
http://home.comcast.net/~tta1456/rearmain.htm

Thanks, I replace the rear main seal and pan grasket. I had a rope seal and it was time. The fiber hair was on the oil pick up screen. My timing chain was good. I had my transmission build and just got time to do everything at one time.