rear end ideas

wbzautocustomiz

Want my GN to go 11's one day
I have 87 TR with an open rear with a ring gear chipped want to upgrade to limited slip and new ring and pinion. Looking for anyone that knows what works well and the whole deal that needs to be known for all the parts and info, gear ratio, etc Thanks

I have 87 TR with an open rear with a ring gear chipped want to upgrade to limited slip and new ring and pinion. Looking for anyone that knows what works well and the whole deal that needs to be known for all the parts and info, gear ratio, etc Thanks

You'll want to stick with the 3.42 ratio since this is what works best for most. You simply need to buy a locking unit and ring and pinion set. I'm running a bone stock rear (factory posi) and have 0 issues. There's a lot of guys going really really fast on stock rear ends.

Are you thinking of doing the work yourself?

The stock 8.5" 10 bolt rear is pretty strong. I've heard of cars running 9.90s using the stock rear. The axle tubes can rotate inside the cast center section on hard launching cars. I think a brace kit or welding the axle tubes will take care of this.

The Auburn Pro Series carrier (PN 542052) is supposed to be stronger than the OEM carrier. It sure looks stronger. I have installed a handful of Auburn Pro Series carriers and they have worked well.

A low-mileage or rebuilt stock posi-traction carrier may be ok. Both may be hard to find.

I have had success with off brand ring and pinion sets such as Zoom. A set from Richmond Gear might get you better technical support.

You will probably want new carrier bearings, pinion bearings, a crush collar, pinion seal, and axle seals. Probably new axle bearings too. Make sure the axles are smooth where they ride against the axle bearing and axle seal. Most of these items can be purchased in a kit.

I guess my car had the open rear originally? This is what happened driving and rear end completely locked up screech to a stop ! Got car home and after opening it up I found that one of the spider gears fell apart and messed it it all up carrier, spiders and it took a couple of small chunks out of ring gear also. I machined the ring gear as smooth as I could where it was chipped at and just installed exact fit replacement to what was in there already; new carrier, spiders, pin, bearings, etc. and everything is good except as I back off throttle I get funky vibration which I'm sure is from the damage to ring gear, livable but I want it right.

So I will have to replace the ring and pinion gears so I say well , I figure all the labor go ahead and go all the way new limited slip,etc. I am wanting to get a realistic idea for my rebuild. Questions like, Will my stock axles still work? Good source for parts vendor on TB.COM? Ratio specs that might be changed or stay the same?
Not racing car might have fun at the track few times a year for fun, nice occassional ride, stuff like that.

I hope this helps clarify what Im trying to do. Thanks