rear brakes wont hold on line

elcamino383

hey guys. new to the board hope u can help.
87 ec 383 stroaker 275 BFG DRs, baer 12" rear disk conversion
200 4r 3500 stall

at the dragstrip staging for the tree, i try to get rpms up to stall converter and launch harder but rear brakes wont hold past 2300.. tires spin at 2300 with street tires or DRs... i have a 3500 stall and new baer 12" rotors.

any ideas? :confused:

Do you have a line lock?

I would think cold rear brakes would hold better that heated up ones disks or drums.

Originally posted by UNGN

I would think cold rear brakes would hold better that heated up ones disks or drums.

That's going to depend on his pad material. If he has a Baer 12" conversion, they probably gave him some street performance pads that don't start to really grab until they get a bit of heat in them.

elcamino83, you need a line lock and a transbrake.

hey guys, becides trans brake, is there any way to increase the holding power of the rear discs? can they be adjusted? what about new master cylender?

hmmm... hoses from hardlines to calipers are braided SS but i could not get a braided line in the center from the crossmember to the differential.... its a new replacement rubber one... any ideas of where to get a braided one?

Have you considered a brake jumper from Aggressive Auto?

BRAKE JUMPER

$179.00

"When a trans brake is not for you, install this jumper and it will allow you to hold a ton of boost with your foot brake."

I did a 'search' and came up with these comments:

"Posted by Jimn8or on May 27th, 2004 11:33 AM:

The jumper works terrific! The instant you release the button your brakes proportion completely normal for safer stopping at the far end. The one I bought is excellent, the fittings supplied with it were not. I replaced them with proper brass fittings and steel brake-line and no BS when I say I can hold 12 psi in the rain!
HTH
Jim

Posted by norbs on June 13th, 2004 07:54 AM:

you will pick up 5psi more holding capacity instantly. Use s10 cyl's and you should be able to hold 15 psi about on any thing."

Aggressive Auto (586-771-9122) sells them. I ordered one yesterday so I have not personally used one yet.

I cancelled the jumper after being told by a local GN mechanic that it would not improve the holding capablity with the vacuum brakes. He said it would not hold anymore with the jumper than without it. I found out that one of the two people that I quoted had the powermaster and not vacuum brakes, so what they said about the jumper did not pertain. I don't know what system the other person had.
The local GN mechanic recommended getting a vacuum pump; that would keep vacuum in the brake system while building boost at the line for launch.
I have not ordered the pump. All I have done is put new soft organic shoes on the rear and that did not help.

When I bought my Russell S/S DOT approved flexible lines, it came with 3 hoses. 1 Front Left, 2 Front Right, and 1 Rear Center hose.

Ryan

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
When I bought my Russell S/S DOT approved flexible lines, it came with 3 hoses. 1 Front Left, 2 Front Right, and 1 Rear Center hose.

Ryan

The Goodridge kit for the GM Midsized has the same three hoses.

You can also got to a local brake shop and have one made. I had some made for mine locally when I put my Wilwoods on the front. The hoses they used are three layer rubber/copper braid/rubber hoses. They were only $50 for both.

does russell sell JUST the middle line? i already have braided fronts from baer.. you think that will make that big diff?

Call `em. Tell them you have set, but damaged the rear one. They're an Edelbrock Co. now, and I've always had good support from Edelbrock.

Ryan

If those Baers are new, they may not be properly bedded yet....

....and they may need some heat to be most efficient. :cool:

If those Baers are new, they may not be properly bedded yet....
i read the "bedding prosedure" didnt really folow it exactaly, but i have about 1200 miles normal driving on them with only one or two 'real fast' stops... could it just be that they are discs and they dont hold well..? they stop like the car like crazy...

proportoning valve mod..

i found this website and i tried it on my el camino... took out the proportoning valve.. it had a brass looking peice in it and replaced the vent cap with a solid bolt... i thought this would give me 50/50 brake pressure... now the meats spin at 2000 instead of 2300 and the fronts are having a hard time holding... :-(

The jumper valve will work on either brake system vacuum is not the problem I have used the valve on both systems and it just plane works.they are working on a new switch that will wire in to the brake switch so when you let off the brake it will switch back to stock brakes.Good luck with your project elcamino383.

slamming6---Who sells the brake jumper you use? When will the new switch version be available? Thanks.