rear axle mounted turbo

Installs in an afternoon....

110 plus hp increase on a 7 psi LT1 or

150 plus with 7 psi on an LS1.

I think those numbers speak for themselves. That set up rules compared to a SC...especially on an engine compartment like the 4th gen Camaros.

Wow.

look where tyhe air filter is, how long do you think it will take to crud that thing up. Not long I suspect. It seems like alot of plumbing to pressureize. There is a Trans Am running around here with that setup. He says it doesnt lag at all but I cant see how that is possible, maybe with a HUGE stall. I dunno. But, depending on the cost, 150hp on an LS1 is a good jump.

I would have to imagine there is a significant loss of heat energy before the turbo. I guess I can't slam them for the work they did, it just doesn't sit right with me mounted there.

Imagine all the guys laying down around the car all the time???

Originally posted by Ted A.
I would have to imagine there is a significant loss of heat energy before the turbo. I guess I can't slam them for the work they did, it just doesn't sit right with me mounted there.

Imagine all the guys laying down around the car all the time???

I remember talking to the person that started STS and he was quite enthusiastic. Everyone thought it wouldn't work and they are making power like crazy with very low boost. I have the video of the 1st test car and that turbo comes up very quickly.

The biggest advantage that I think most people miss is the emissions aspect. It's after the cat so nothing can be said by CARB or any emissions stations. None of the emissions control devices are moved or touched. With any OBDII car and V engine configuration, they could only use a twin turbo setup to get emissions approval because each bank must be able to be tested separately. No single could ever get CARB approval which really only matters in I think about 13 states.

They are being sold like crazy now and I remember when everyone was against it. You can find them on SUVs and trucks all over now. If they come out with a kit for the Explorer Sport Trac, I'm getting one.

Maybe the reason guys say there is not much lag, is due to the V8's torque on the low end ( just not noticable ). There is a fella at our local cruise night that has this set up on his '01 Camaro. It's certainly different, but slick in it's approach. It scares me how low the turbo plumbing sits on these f-bodies---wouldn't want to go too far off the beaten path, or hit any poor black top. One positive note, is that there is so much plumbing after the turbo, there is little need for an intercooler. Guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Originally posted by Fuelie600
Maybe the reason guys say there is not much lag, is due to the V8's torque on the low end ( just not noticable ). There is a fella at our local cruise night that has this set up on his '01 Camaro. It's certainly different, but slick in it's approach. It scares me how low the turbo plumbing sits on these f-bodies---wouldn't want to go too far off the beaten path, or hit any poor black top. One positive note, is that there is so much plumbing after the turbo, there is little need for an intercooler. Guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Damn that GN you have is fast. My previous car trapped in the 120s and it felt like it was an hour late for an important meeting at the end of the 1/4. 130s must feel awesome. I don't believe I will get that high, but I hope to see 120s again.

I've read about these. At first I thought it was pretty ridiculous, but after reading the article and looking at it w/out any precontrived notions, I think it's pretty slick. I hadn't even thought about the emissions portion of it. In addition, it eliminates the muffler.

This is a great alternative to a blower or turbo in the engine bay of a 4th gen LT1. I had a P600B on my '95TA and it was tight in there. In addition, w/ the original location of the IC mounted horizontal w/ a scoop, it was next to impossible to work on the car. I relocated that into the nose of the car and it opened up a lot of space.

The outcome and results are cool, but I'm more impressed w/ the thought that went into it. It just goes to show what can be done when you think outside the box and aren't afraid to try something new. Now, I wonder if you could do twins w/ that type of setup:D

Later,

Steve.

that is really freakin cool, Ive seen home made versions of that before and it looks cooler and cooler every time I see it. I just may do this to my firebird.

Id like to see what that badboy would do with alky and the boost cranked up:D

I am a big fan of these kits, Being a 4th gen LS1 owner I know the whole "space" issue and have been planning what I am going to do with mine when the Buick is done. I was leaning more with a procharger b/c of the instant throttle response and its a more traditional setup, But this turbo kit works out to be cheeper and just as effective if not a bit more. So I may wind up going with the STS.

Originally posted by 87GN_ponykillr
I am a big fan of these kits, Being a 4th gen LS1 owner I know the whole "space" issue and have been planning what I am going to do with mine when the Buick is done. I was leaning more with a procharger b/c of the instant throttle response and its a more traditional setup, But this turbo kit works out to be cheeper and just as effective if not a bit more. So I may wind up going with the STS.

Have you seriously considered the nitrous option? The LS1s love the jug. If up front money is a problem, nitrous is the way to go w/ an LS1.

Later,

Steve.

Originally posted by RBE17
Have you seriously considered the nitrous option? The LS1s love the jug. If up front money is a problem, nitrous is the way to go w/ an LS1.

Later,

Steve.

Hey Steve, I actually have a bottle and complete dry kit in my garage :D I had it on my Camaro and liked it but I want something more "full time" if that makes sense. It was a blast on the the 95 but now I see Nitrous as a cheater way to run. But yes if you are on a budget its the way to go and the LS1 does like joose but I just wanna go diffrenet and unique. Thanks for the sugestion tho. Wanna buy my Joose??? :D
-Adam

Originally posted by 87GN_ponykillr
Hey Steve, I actually have a bottle and complete dry kit in my garage :D I had it on my Camaro and liked it but I want something more "full time" if that makes sense. It was a blast on the the 95 but now I see Nitrous as a cheater way to run. But yes if you are on a budget its the way to go and the LS1 does like joose but I just wanna go diffrenet and unique. Thanks for the sugestion tho. Wanna buy my Joose??? :D
-Adam

Adam,

I hear you. Nitrous is great if you don't have upfront money. I had a ProCharger on the TA when I got it. I loved it and like the availability of power. The full time power thought is completely legit. I have mixed feelings about nitrous and would definitely consider a blower or a turbo before the jug. I'll have to pass on your nitrous, I have a wet kit I'm debating on whether or not I want to use.

Later,

Steve.

Steve, What year TA do/did you have? Thats cool with the joose, just figured I would toss a sales pitch :D Good luck with your setup just be careful with it. Yes its cheep and easy HP but can be harmful, as I'm sure you know.

after seeing that awhile ago, ive already started planning out a DIY kit for my truck. 01 chevy 1500 reg/stepside with a 4.3. i think it would run pretty good and should handle about 5psi just fine. it shure doesnt pull those 3.23 gears for crap right now

I have been thinking about doing this with my truck it's a

89 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 w/ a 388 stroker small block, with 4.56 gears and 35" tires and a 5 speed.

That should make it a TORQUE monster, its already putting out over 400 lbs of torque at 2000 rpm.

I dont think it would be hard to do, you have to run oil lines a return line to the intake and fab a mounting bracket. am I missing anything?

I'll be starting my next project car which will be my wife's current driver, the '95 TA. Was thinking a SC with aftercooler, but that really does make the engine compartment crammed. I remember reading about this about a year ago when it first came out, and everyone thought it was a joke, but it appears its getting a lot of respect now.
Since it only generates about 5-6 psi, spoolup from a V-8 should be nothing, even with the colder exhaust temps at the rear. Put some fins on that intake ducting and it would be a tremendous IC :) The article says the temps drop from 175 to about 115 from rear to front in the intake.
and the displaced area in the long intake pipe is about the same as a large FMIC so lag should not be an issue.

The only problem I see is that most LT1 and LS1 cars that are raced make their power in the 5k-6500 rpm range, and it looks like this turbo would be quite the bottleneck for exhaust flow at those rpms???? For everyday street driving it would rock though.

This was gone over a lot at ls2.com with mixed results from the members.

I think it sounds awesome and the performance gains are great.

The biggest complaint from others was how easy they thought water could get into the turbo with such a short exhaust pipe.