Really High EGT Readings, Why?

jefffoxsr

I have about 1,000 miles on the rebuild. The heat range of the plugs is correct. I just did a leakdown test and all cylinders were at about 10%.
I usually run alcohol injection.

All of the plugs looked really rich and had some dark deposits that were wet looking.

My egts are always 1700 to 1850 F. This is the same whether I run alky or race gas and no alky.

ZERO knock always on Direct Scan and the audible detector is quiet.

I have 3 egt gauges, so this is not the problem. The probe is mounted a few inches below the turbo.

I've always heard that egts should be around 1550. I didn't see those #'s before or after the rebuild.

I would expect a cleaner plug with those high egts.

Any ideas on why the egts are so high?

Thanks.

Sometimes when the car is to rich it will burn some of the fuel in the header which will make the temps go up.... what are your 02 readings? better yet have a wb02? :biggrin:

Ok, here's some more info.

This was a complete rebuild. 20 over JE race pistons, moly rings, 63 turbo, 224 cam, Red armstrong race 107 chip with 25 degrees of timing, ported GN1 Aluminum heads.

jefffoxsr said:

This was a complete rebuild. 20 over JE race pistons, moly rings, 63 turbo, 224 cam, Red armstrong race 107 chip with 25 degrees of timing, ported GN1 Aluminum heads.
Consuming any oil? (valve seals/guides).
Still have the O2 sensor hooked up? If so, whats it say?

jefffoxsr said:

Are you positive on the timing of that 107 chip, its my understanding that the 107 chip was a high boost, low timing chip..
At least my msd 50s RA 107 chip for a 44 was only 18°...

If the plugs look like they have been running rich, guess what..... its rich.

Have you been swapping chips around between the pump gas with alky vs race gas with or without alky?

Try swapping in a full set of plugs gapped at .032 and a new 02 sensor, make one pass and pull a plug.. If its dark, your running rich and need to add timing or pull some fuel..
Varify the timing in your chip.

BW