Re Torquing heads with studs

BARRACUDA1968

I'm ready to do a final TQ after a few heat cycles. I have studs with Felpro's and TA aluminum heads.

I've read 80ft pds and 85ft pds? Suggestions?

I know the long time builders have successful methods they have used over the years, so I'm sure some will chime in. Is it a Felpro composite? Did they come with a recommendation. More importantly regardless of 80 or 85, I think you want to strive for the same tension on each stud. Make sure you can get a clean straight pull on each fastener before you start. I would pull each one to see if they break torque, then go back through and back off 1/8th of a turn, then pull to final torque, follow the factory sequence, cant say I have more than a couple evolutions, so try to get some input from some of the more notables on the board. A lot of variables and uncertainty in fastener torqueing, try to minimize the variables.

I have the Felpro 9441's. I made sure I could get to all the head bolts once the engine was completed on the stand so I didn't have to fight it once in the car. I don't use the spark plug heat shields and I clearanced the header gaskets etc.

I think the only stud that will fight me a bit may be the passenger firewall stud. I have removed the heat shield so hopefully I can get a straight pull.

I have the Felpro 9441's. I made sure I could get to all the head bolts once the engine was completed on the stand so I didn't have to fight it once in the car. I don't use the spark plug heat shields and I clearanced the header gaskets etc.

I think the only stud that will fight me a bit may be the passenger firewall stud. I have removed the heat shield so hopefully I can get a straight pull.

Mike at Zimmerman told me to retorque after three heat cycles as well but he told me 70ftlb? Maybe it's different with a TA block?

The heads come with instructions and torque specs. Those specs are the ones you want to use. If you don't have a copy, let me know I'll dig mine out and post it.

The instructions warn against using more torque than specified, the heads can be damaged by it.