Re-post: Need help - Just bought an 84 GN

84GNTTOP

Hello- just saw this category - I may have posted my topic in the wrong section.

Hello all, new to the site.

I just bought an 84 GN (hot air) 2 weeks ago.

Car has been sitting for 20 years - Previous owner had trouble getting it running and parked it. According to him and receipts, he did the following:

1) Replaced CAT
2) Replaced Computer
3) Rebuilt Turbo
4) Installed New timing chain (could have caused issue with crank sensor or cam sensor - IMO).

Fast forward to me buying this car, I have done the following:

1) Dumped all the old gas, cleaned all lines up to fuel rail, and replaced the fuel filter. I installed a new gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, all rubber fuel hoses, and fuel pump relay (getting fuel now).
2) Dumped and replaced all fluids (Motor, Tranny, Radiator, Rear Diff). I even installed a new oil switch.
3) Replaced spark plugs / wires and poured marvel oil in cylinders and spun crank by hand. Also replaced Air Filter, bought a new batter and checked all fuses.

Now that I have done my "spring cleaning", I am trying to get the car to run. (Car Cranks, but won't fire).
Initially, I was getting spark and it seemed like it wanted to fire, but now I have no spark.
I switched the spark plugs wires around 4 times (As there is a lot of conflicting info on the web). Need to confirm firing order on the coil pack, but I want to begin trouble shooting before I start mindlessly buying new parts. One thing to note: I found a fusible link (20 Amp) by the wiper motor (red) that has been burned out or broken - not sure what that is. With all that being said, I want to start with the following:

Confirm Firing order / Spark plug location.
Start Trouble Shooting my no-spark condition, and take if from there. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Hello- just saw this category - I may have posted my topic in the wrong section.

Hello all, new to the site.

I just bought an 84 GN (hot air) 2 weeks ago.

Car has been sitting for 20 years - Previous owner had trouble getting it running and parked it. According to him and receipts, he did the following:

1) Replaced CAT
2) Replaced Computer
3) Rebuilt Turbo
4) Installed New timing chain (could have caused issue with crank sensor or cam sensor - IMO).

Fast forward to me buying this car, I have done the following:

1) Dumped all the old gas, cleaned all lines up to fuel rail, and replaced the fuel filter. I installed a new gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, all rubber fuel hoses, and fuel pump relay (getting fuel now).
2) Dumped and replaced all fluids (Motor, Tranny, Radiator, Rear Diff). I even installed a new oil switch.
3) Replaced spark plugs / wires and poured marvel oil in cylinders and spun crank by hand. Also replaced Air Filter, bought a new batter and checked all fuses.

Now that I have done my "spring cleaning", I am trying to get the car to run. (Car Cranks, but won't fire).
Initially, I was getting spark and it seemed like it wanted to fire, but now I have no spark.
I switched the spark plugs wires around 4 times (As there is a lot of conflicting info on the web). Need to confirm firing order on the coil pack, but I want to begin trouble shooting before I start mindlessly buying new parts. One thing to note: I found a fusible link (20 Amp) by the wiper motor (red) that has been burned out or broken - not sure what that is. With all that being said, I want to start with the following:

Confirm Firing order / Spark plug location.
Start Trouble Shooting my no-spark condition, and take if from there. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.
Have you checked the cam and crank sensors that's what it was for me

I remember the early days of owning my '84 GN... Thank God for the Casper's Electronics Camshaft sensor tool.

You 'learned' to have an extra brand new crankshaft sensor, and camshaft sensor 'ready to go' in their packaging in the spare tire well of the trunk.

Yes, confirm the crank sensor is clearances correctly and sending a signal and the cam sensor is sending a signal. Hit the coils with a meter to see about continuity especially since you aren't getting spark. A known good module might be a good thing to try if you can borrow one from a local. Are you getting good fuel pressure at the rail? What about a compression/leakdown check. Twenty yrs of sitting doesn't help rings seal.

Yes, confirm the crank sensor is clearances correctly and sending a signal and the cam sensor is sending a signal. Hit the coils with a meter to see about continuity especially since you aren't getting spark. A known good module might be a good thing to try if you can borrow one from a local. Are you getting good fuel pressure at the rail? What about a compression/leakdown check. Twenty yrs of sitting doesn't help rings seal.

Thanks Texas T, I actually just received my Crank Sensor/Bracket Assembly today (Upgrading to 87 style with harness - Borg Warner). I will be sure to check the clearance as well. As far as the Cam Sensor, I ordered a new one through Caspers with the led light. I will make sure that I am at TDC on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder to eliminate that issue. I will try to fire once that's done. My next step will probable be a new module, as I don't have access to a known used one. How do you check this with a meter? I did probe the pink/black wires, and I have 12V. As far as fuel, I have replaced the gas tank, sending unit, pump, rubber hoses, filter, and relay. Although, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, I did have a lot come out of the fuel rail when I checked, so I don't think fuel is my problem now. I haven't done a compression/leak check yet - I need to get a gauge. I initially wanted to rebuild the motor, but figured I would try to get it going, before I go that route. The previous owner re-did the timing chain and messed with the cam sensor/crank sensor and couldn't get it to run, so I'm hoping to rectify those issues and take if from there. It's a very nice original t-top car - hopefully it won't take much to get it running.