Razor Alky Pump Stopped Working

nightrain

I'm the other nightrain..
Looking for help from Julio or other. My pump suddenly stopped pumping. It was working perfectly and now when I press the test button, I hear a high pitched noise at the pump, but nothing comes out. The red indicator LED comes on when I hit the test button, just like always. I first noticed it when I couldn't feel the engine stumble when priming the system.

I removed the plug at the pump and tested the voltage with the test button pressed. 1v is all I get, key on, engine off.

Any ideas on where to start? Is there a way to jumper the pump wiring to see if I can get it to pump?

Thanks!

Not sure about the voltage,but had the exact same thing happen it a freind/customer. Sent it in to Razor and there was a peice of trash in the head. He fixed it and sent it back to us.

I would simply give Julio a call tomorrow. He will tell you how to test the pump. I had trouble with several pumps and determined that denatured alcohol contributed to my problem. I now stay with methanol and no problems since. Good- Luck Brad

Purchased July '07. Installed March '08. Used at most 500 miles. Not a daily driver.

With a kit that new, I would suspect trash got into the pump. Call me and i'll run you through the procedure.

With a kit that new, I would suspect trash got into the pump. Call me and i'll run you through the procedure.

Thanks, Julio! Ran the pump by wire jumper at the MAP like you said. Works fine now, both full-on and with test button. Now just have to wait out the rain until...April. :frown:

Julio, since these pumps are so critical, I'm wondering when I should buy a new one just to be safe. I mean how many years can we expect to get from a pump? I'd rather spend the money on a new pump than on a new motor. :eek:

So what was the verdict?

Not quite sure what the clog was or why it stopped, but when I jumpered the grey/grn wires at the MAP (key on, engine off), the pump ran full on after spitting a few air bubbles. Jumpering the wires tells the pump you're at 30lbs boost. Then, it worked as usual with the test button (lower flow, but still pumped). I'm pretty anal about keeping the refills of methanol very clean, but perhaps there was some plastic in the GM overflow tank originally that made it through to the pump head.

The important part is that test firing before you go full throttle and/or after you start driving once the car has sat for awhile. I do that as a habit and that's when I noticed no stumble during the testing or priming of the system. I tried a part throttle blast and the knock meter went nuts, so that's when I started my troubleshooting.

Julio, since these pumps are so critical, I'm wondering when I should buy a new one just to be safe. I mean how many years can we expect to get from a pump? I'd rather spend the money on a new pump than on a new motor. :eek:

Hard question to answer. I would say every 2-3 seasons.

I'll be doing a writeup on test procedures latter this week getting everyone ready for winter :wink:

How can you keep trash out of the pump? I know there's a filter after the pump....maybe if a filter before the pump too?