Raised white letters or blackwalls?

RPO- QYH

Any educated TB guy would know the tires aren't right....;)

At any car show on any given summer day that would be a uber rare person IMO. :) I'll be curious to see if anyone ever brings that up. Not that I'll go to a lot of car shows. Some. We have a all Buick show here every summer here in Milwaukee, WI. I might go to that.

Rodney

Or just don't open your trunk or show the window sticker if you got it and nobody will know the RPO codes.....

Unfortunately I do not have the original window sticker. Even if I did and I displayed it I am not worried. It is one thing I prefer to have different and one could easily put RWL tires on if one wanted them. What is cool is my OEM factory exhaust is still intact as it left the factory. That is one thing that can never go back to original because you have to cut the factory system to remove it (or remove the rear axle). So I'm very happy mine has the original unaltered factory exhaust. GM never offered the OEM exhaust system over the counter. If you needed a new exhaust system the dealer put in an aftermarket (Walker) system.

Rodney

Actually that's incorrect. GM did offer a replacement exhaust for the cars. Here's a picture of NOS tailpipes that are even painted black just like they came.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Here's a picture of NOS tailpipes that are even painted black just like they came.

I'm going by what the second owner told me. He called a Buick dealer and asked. But he bought this GN 10 years ago. I'm not sure what year he called. He owned 4 of them, one being a GNX. He has since sold all of them. This (now mine) was his last one.

You posted a picture of the two tailpipes. How about the rest of the OEM exhaust system up to the converter? Maybe only the tail pipes were ever available over the counter?? I'm new to all this. I'm sure my exhaust system will last as long as I ever have this car. I'm guessing it is 409 stainless steel? Gets rusty but lasts a very very long time. I deal in Fieros and they had factory 409 stainless steel exhaust systems that lasted a very very long time.

Rodney
rodneydickman.com

Maybe one day I'll make some GN stuff?

Everything for the exhaust was available from GM from the back of the turbo to the tailpipes. I only have the tailpipes,muffler, and over the axle pipes. But the Y-pipe and down pipe were also available.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
These are the stockers correct? On 84s too?

(If this is your car, I did not steal the pic. It comes up in Google search.)

Attachments

• 1429477903238.jpg
    1429477903238.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 81
do they make any raised white letter street legal tires that will pull a G on the skidpad?
if they do, those are the ones i'd choose.

I'm staying with the black walls out. I'm all for keeping it as close to original as possible but draw the line at white letter tires. For me the GN is all about intimidation, a nasty dark look, etc. White letter IMO soften that look. So I'm staying with black walls. I've looked at my GN several times over the last few days and just love the black wall look. If anyone at a car shows asks I'll say you can't get OEM type replacement Goodyear RWOL tires so my choice is black walls. I doubt few will know black walls are not correct on a 87 GN. The GNX had black walls.

On the scanner and chip thing. I tend to think I will rarely abuse this car. Maybe a few times once I get plates for it to see what it does. I do not want to beat up my pristine 87 GN. I've had several fast cars in the past, I lived thru the muscle car era and beat the $hit out of a few muscle cars. I do not need to beat this pristine GN. For me it is all about the look. And about having a GN that is almost all original. The previous owner had this GN 10 years. He bought an aftermarket exhaust system but never put it on. I'm very, very, very happy he never did. I can't wait to have it in some local car shows so I can brag about how close it is to 100% original. :)

Rodney

You will say I cannot get OEM type replacement Goodyear RWOL tires. Not true Kirban's have them. Dennis had them re-produced. About 1300.00 bucks. However I still have my OEM tires, took them off two years ago when they had 11k miles on them. Tires looked great however they were hard as a wedding dick. Could not get out of the driveway without spinning the tires. Went with black walls, plus another 20k in upgrades. So much for keeping my car stock. Keep it stock for 26 years then lost my head.

Yup. Unless you're going to put the repops on, then the whole originality argument gets thrown out the window. And if you get a hard-core car guy looking at those tires at a show, they'll just point out the incorrect date stamp on the tires and you lose anyways.

And as for thinking running the original chip adds anything to the originality of the car, well that's a lesson you'll likely learn the hard way. Pretty hard to keep it minty original when you have to pull the motor. :banghead:

I'm going to try and stay mostly original. Non correct tires I can live with. In time I'll look at chips. If the scan thing just plugs in I'll probably get it but only use it to check the readings and not have it showing all the time on the dash like I have seen it in other GN's. Plug it in and check things out then unplug it and put it away?

I have not even titled and licensed it yet. Soon.

I'm here to learn and I have lots to learn. But my intent is to keep it very close to OEM. Maybe not 100% but somewhat close to that. The second owner that changed the tires went to a wider tire. Same diameter. 235-60? I'm OK with that.

Thanks
Rodney

I have my Scanmaster wired up to power off the cigarette lighter (now called 12V power source :rolleyes:) and with a quick-disconnect so that it can be unplugged and moved as needed... "nothing to see here" - as they say.
FWIW, my car does not have code QYH... so I guess the blackwalls are "correct".
Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
On the GN, i prefer the white letters out. On anything modern of course, BW out. I think it just fits the car with the white letters out. Plus, that's how GOD made them. ;)

I have my Scanmaster wired up to power off the cigarette lighter (now called 12V power source :rolleyes:) and with a quick-disconnect so that it can be unplugged and moved as needed... "nothing to see here" - as they say.
FWIW, my car does not have code QYH... so I guess the blackwalls are "correct".
Good luck with everything.

That's a great idea...can you show me a diagram on how you did it? What about the other wires, how did you wire them in? Did you use some kind of adaptor for this? I'd like to do this for my scanmaster, and the using of the cigarette lighter is nice as all you'd do is unplug it, put it in the glovebox or trunk.....really nice idea. Please show me what you did if you don't mind.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Just picked up the wheels from the shop, 235/60s

Attachments

• 1429809886973.jpg
    1429809886973.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 61
I like the factory outlined Goodyear tires. Too bad I can't find them in larger sizes. My car still has the factory tires it came with on it. The previous owner pulled the wheels and tires off noy long after he purchased the car and put them back on when I bought it. I don't drive it with them on it because they are too old.00-atire2.jpg

Bruce:
On the plug and play scan master you simply buy a cigarette adapter at radio shack (if they still exist)- there's a spot for your power and ground wires to "plug" into the adapter. Crimp a tiny spade to the part that connects to the ALDL and you're in business. I have one I use when I go look at cars for people.

Mera: When you get the scanmaster you want to keep an eye on it while drive. It's necessary because Buick did not give us any real gauges. You can unplug it when you park.