Radio

rhunt

I have a 79 LeSabre with an am/fm radio that does not work. There is a three wire plug that goes into the rear of the radio with a yellow, black and brown wire. I think the yellow is power, the black is ground and the brown is for the light inside the dial.
When I plugged the plug in I got nothing. How do I check to see if the radio is getting power? I connected a yellow wire directly from the fuse panel to the yellow plug wire and still got nothing. Got a radio from the jy and nothing. Can one of you wizzards give me some suggestions?

TIA

Roger

Did you check if there is power at the plug with a meter or test light? Is it a am/fm ditigal radio? There should be a orange wire for constant 12v that the same feed for the cigarette lighter/dome light and maybe door locks.

No I didn't check with a test light. That's what I want to do but need some help. The radio has a three prong plug Yellow (power I think) Black (ground) and grey (power for the bulb). The unit is AM/FM non digital. I took a wire directly from the fuse box and connected it to the yellow power wire and got nothing when I pluged the plug into the back of the radio. Thinking there was a problem in the wiring harness I hooked the wire at the 10 amp ign slot in the fuse box, nothing. I'm assuming since the car starts that the ign circut is gettiing power. Any help you can give me to see if the plug/new yellow wire is getting power would really help.

TIA

Roger

I have a continuity tester but don't know what other kind of "tester" to get, If anyone can help I would appreciate it. As you can see all I know about electricity is where to plug the TV into the wall.!!!!!

First of all you need a voltage testing device, I see you got some kind of meter. Is there a 12V DC setting? If there is check the yellow(acc power) and the black(ground). If there is power and ground and the rado still don't power its toasted.

Turbo:

No, I don't have a meter. I'll get one if you'll tell me how to set it to test for power and ground and where to put the probes.

TIA

Roger

Very simple.....

Ground the black side of the test lead and the positive side to the yellow wire of the car, set the meter to "DC" voltage and then turn the ignition on and see if it reads 12V. If it does you can check continuity on the black wire, leave the ground where's it at and use the diode check of the meter and set it on the beep mode. Probe the black wire of the car side and the meter should beep/buzz. If if it does that then you got your 12V and ground there, then if the radio still don't power up then its dead. Hope this helps...

TurboV6:

Thanks for the directions. I'll do what you say and let you know the results. Thanks again.

Roger