Radio options?

aquickv6

What are the options for getting a CD player/Radio that fits with the original interior design and does not stand out too much?

Radio

My good friend bought one on ebay that fits a S-10. It has a CD player and is a factory GM component. Looks great....almost like it came from the factory that way.

Another option is what I did; use the factory radio/tape deck, and via an FM modulator, control a CD changer in the trunk. The small controller for the CD changer is hidden underneath the ashtray lid. I changed the junk OEM speakers out for small identical-size aftermarket (Kenwood and Pioneer) ones. Result is factory appearance and good sound too.

I think I have a problem with the factory radio and thought I would just change the entire head unit. So I guess you used some 3.5" in the dash and used 4x10 for the package shelf instead of the 6x9 adapters.

And me, too

Retrofitted Concert Sound II, changed the speakers all around to a good set of Pioneers, added a small amplifier and a 10" Bazooka Tube in the trunk.
The head unit is a very good Pioneer.
I am still looking at the idea of returning to the stock appearing head unit, but am not sure the original head unit will work with the new amplifier and the other stuff.
Any input? Gary K?

Thanks.

Get the S-10 CD unit & it looks like stock. With EQ they are $400 on e-bay & they Look Stock! Better sound than my original concert sound unit.

S10 CD Player

So it should fit right up and run Concert Sound II? Is there a part #?

Link to an e-bay page with the right item?

Thanks.

Pioneer offers a full size 6-disc player that sorta blends in.

Attachments

• h130DEHP47Ddmtp.jpg
    h130DEHP47Ddmtp.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 569
panasonic cq-c7205u

single din with the CORRECT dash kit....looks good to me,unbeatable price for all it does.50wx4,mp3,aux in(ipod,xm,bluetooth,etc),7 band eq,crossover for highs and sub out.a factory stereo doesnt come close......even has a glossy black finish that matches our dash...its what is in my car after being in car audio 21 years,and ive sold EVERY brand......

CQ-C700U - CD - Shop and Compare at Panasonic

sorry, new model # cq-c700u

Attachments

• 11-03-08_1208.jpg
    11-03-08_1208.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 568
Here's the installation I did in my GN...using a cd player from a '92 Buick Roadmaster (I think...) and the correct GM harness adapter...looks factory! ;)

Claude :)

P.S:...don't pay attention to the white wire running down...it's not used anymore and has since been removed (was for a Scanmaster...)

Anybody got any pics of that full size Pioneer installed? other pics welcome :)

I'll try to take a pic of mine installed today & post it.....I will say it fits great, looks great & sounds great, but I may be changing it out & trying to find a 2001 S-10 model...Reason being is I have a 2001 S-10 Xtreme truck & since it's my daily driver I'm real used to it & so would like to have one in the GN too......

The Darkside

Awesome.....:) I'm glad you posted that pic, now I can quit trying to figure out how to resize the pic I took with Vista...:confused:

RI-Matt

The Pioneer looks very nice in there, and probably sounds alot better than the original. Thanks for the pics.

i wanted to keep the Infinity 7 channel surround sound system that was in my 94 Chrysler LHS. the head unit is the same 1/5 DIN as the GM stuff, but brackets might need to be made and wires run all over the car- the system uses a rather powerful (500 watss total, i think) amp that is mounted in the trunk.
but it just sounded beautiful for a factory system.
of course, it did have a lot of speakers- 6X9's in the rear deck with dual voice coils (low and high), 6" round speakers in the front doors, 4" speakers in the dash, and a small center channel mounted in the middle of the dash.