Radiator

Just get an F body radiator from Auto Zone or NAPA for a hundred bucks. Cools better than stock and half the weight.

F body rad is cheap, but you get what you pay for. It could last you for a while if you are trying not to spend a lot of cash, but make sure it is square. Most of the time they have terrible quality control and are "crooked" from corner to corner. If you get a "good" F body (straight) , it is hit and miss how long it'll last. I have seen many leak, seep, and split between the plastic and the aluminum. If you can, I would suggest saving up the $ for an ALRADCO. There are lots of guys here running them and everyone has had great dealings with Peter, who is a supporting vendor. His rads are American made!

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...akes-nice-stock-replacement-aluminum-rad.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...-aluminum-radiator-american-made-alradco.html

Not square?? I have never heard of this. With the amount of F-Body radiators that have been put into our cars in the last 10 years, if this was a problem I think you would have heard it here a long time ago. I have not seen any bad reports of these radiators for our cars. Mine had been in for a few years with no problems what so ever.

How about it, guys. Has anyone experienced any of these problems. Has ANYONE regretted putting in an F-Body radiator into a Grand National?

I still say that the only reason to spend 4 to 5 hundred dollars on a radiator is if you have the disposable cash and want "bling". Under normal conditions the F-Body radiator will cool better than stock at half the weight. And the money saved can go to other things. Hell, there would be enough money left over for a new set of injectors or new suspension parts.

Not square?? I have never heard of this. With the amount of F-Body radiators that have been put into our cars in the last 10 years, if this was a problem I think you would have heard it here a long time ago. I have not seen any bad reports of these radiators for our cars. Mine had been in for a few years with no problems what so ever.

How about it, guys. Has anyone experienced any of these problems. Has ANYONE regretted putting in an F-Body radiator into a Grand National?

I still say that the only reason to spend 4 to 5 hundred dollars on a radiator is if you have the disposable cash and want "bling". Under normal conditions the F-Body radiator will cool better than stock at half the weight. And the money saved can go to other things. Hell, there would be enough money left over for a new set of injectors or new suspension parts.

If you feel like wasting a few hours of your life you will never get back, feel free to search every "radiator" or "f body" etc thread and you will see a few that were not square, or "tilted" from corner to corner. This is not even the main issue with the F body. They leak and seep where the aluminum meets the plastic. I have personally had 3 of these types of radiators seep or leak here, and two of them were F body rads that were less than a year old. I have personally had one that was not square, and had to be "gently convinced" back square because I cold not take it back to the store. I had to switch my rad and fans while TAD in Florida and had only an hour to do it before having to get back on the road. I have seen at least 3-4 that were crooked, and at least a dozen that leaked and seeped. It is not just a problem with the F body, the Powerstroke Fords have the issue, the Cadillacs have the issue, My Monte SS had the issue, another Ford truck (F150), etc, etc, etc.

The F body is a decent deal, if you don't mind keeping an eye on it, and plan to replace it. I can't afford to have to do that. It's not the $, its my time, my job, etc. I can't "call in sick" or be late, and I drive my GN every day. My GN has been cross country a handful of times too. I can't "afford" for it to break, hence the ALRADCO. Yes, it is more $. It should last me forever, not stranding me. And, maybe others got it for the "bling" factor as you stated, but mine is powder coated black and looks stock.

To me it is about trusted functionality, and making a choice to spend more $ when it is deemed necessary. I have had to learn the hard way that although doing it the cheapest route is quick, it sometimes gets me into trouble later. Hope that makes sense.

Mine had been in for a few years with no problems what so ever.

Ummmmmm. I beg to differ.

How hot does it get up there in MA, anyway?

The money spent on a great big aluminum radiator from ALRADCO (and dual Spal fans) has been the difference between being able to drive my car year 'round or moth balling it for the summer months.

Personally, I like to cruise all year long......

But then again, I'm pretty certain the only thing you have to worry about regarding radiators is if you have a quality anti-freeze in it when it's in the garage all winter. ;):eek::biggrin:

If you can afford it Alradco is the way to go.
Peter is good people.

Someone on this board has a sig that says "Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but more than enough the second time around?"

Those are words to live by.

Not square?? I have never heard of this. With the amount of F-Body radiators that have been put into our cars in the last 10 years, if this was a problem I think you would have heard it here a long time ago. I have not seen any bad reports of these radiators for our cars.

1-800-RADIATOR is a tenant in my warehouse. They open and inspect every single radiator they get in. You wouldn't believe some of the damaged product they get, even when the box is pristine.

Ummmmmm. I beg to differ.

How hot does it get up there in MA, anyway?

The money spent on a great big aluminum radiator from ALRADCO (and dual Spal fans) has been the difference between being able to drive my car year 'round or moth balling it for the summer months.

Personally, I like to cruise all year long......

But then again, I'm pretty certain the only thing you have to worry about regarding radiators is if you have a quality anti-freeze in it when it's in the garage all winter. ;):eek::biggrin:

I was referring to the OP's case. He lives in upstate NY and has a completely stock GN. I won't dispute the fact that you may need better in AZ or if you have a lot of go fast goodies, or a front mount. No we do not have the high heat you guys have. And (ouch) yes most of us only drive 8 months a year cuz of all that beautiful white stuff we get, so that limits me to only 5k to 7K a year. Now that I have the Challenger that will be reduced to 2 or 3 hundred miles a year. But, we did have a couple of days of 100+ this year and on one of them I put over 100 miles on the car, with the A/C on of course, and my temps stayed rock steady at 173*. Works for me.