Radiator relocation

Dusty Bradford

Here's some pics for those interested in making a little more room in front of the engine. It's pretty simple. You just cut the bottom of your original core support out and add some tubing or flat metal to support the radiator. I used 2 fabricated hold down clamps to secure the radiator to the core support. You can see the clamps on top of the radiator, they are screwed to the core support with self tapping screws.

I used a 26x19 radiator from jeg's. I chose the double pass because both the inlet and outlet of the radiator are on the pass side. This allowed me to put the turbo on the driver side without interfering with the hose from the intake to radiator. I use a filler neck on the intake to add water to the system. The catch can is attached to the neck of the radiator. You can see the hose routed through the core support and the catch can in front. The radiator hose was fabricated out of stainless tubing.

Attachments

• radiatorIMG0001.jpg
    radiatorIMG0001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 384
The bracket you see near the bottom of the radiator in the pic above is for my tranny cooler....

Attachments

• radiator20001.jpg
    radiator20001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 389
Here's some pics for those interested in making a little more room in front of the engine. It's pretty simple. You just cut the bottom of your original core support out and add some tubing or flat metal to support the radiator. I used 2 fabricated hold down clamps to secure the radiator to the core support. You can see the clamps on top of the radiator, they are screwed to the core support with self tapping screws.

I used a 26x19 radiator from jeg's. I chose the double pass because both the inlet and outlet of the radiator are on the pass side. This allowed me to put the turbo on the driver side without interfering with the hose from the intake to radiator. I use a filler neck on the intake to add water to the system. The catch can is attached to the neck of the radiator. You can see the hose routed through the core support and the catch can in front. The radiator hose was fabricated out of stainless tubing.

What has to be done to get the turbo up there behind the grille. Is there a smaller radiator that will still keep the motor cool?

What has to be done to get the turbo up there behind the grille. Is there a smaller radiator that will still keep the motor cool?

A 24x19 may be big enough to cool the motor for street driving and would be small enough to turn to the side. You could then put the turbo beside it. The only other option would be to lay it down flat. I'm not sure if this would effect water flow since the pump would have to pull the water up from the radiator. I have seen cars like this. I have also seen two very small radiators on each side of the turbo when the turbo is in the grille.

Not sure how a front mounted turbo would fare street driving without some sort of fine screen or filter on it. This is one reason I doubt I'll put mine in the grille. They sure sound cooler mounted there.

you have mail! turbo headers

dusty, you have mail! sb2.2 turbo headers for sale!