Racing Seats in a Regal? Anyone done it?

1QWIK6

Torque wins
I've lowered my car. Put all new suspension on. 4 Wheel Disc Brakes all around. Big swaybars, etc. Now... the car handle great, BUT, the factory seats just don't cut it anymore.

Problem: I have a burgandy interior and want to replace my factory buick seats for some nice Racing Style (MUST BE COMFORTABLE) seats. What are my options on Seats and the color problem?

dont know what are good and comfortable seats. but a trim and upholstry should be able to recover them to an color that you want.

I don't think you should use the word "comfortable" and race seats in the same sentence. :)

I took a car and made it into a race car. Now I look at all the super fast stock looking cars with stock interiors and wish I hadn't ruined my GN.

I think you should keep your car as stock looking as possible and simply add more horsies.

If you're determined to change to racing seats it ain't too hard. I simply used the stock rails and drilled matching holes through the aluminum seat bed and bolted it on with round head bolts. Then you put that massively thick 1/2" foam and seat cover on.

I am looking for different types/options of comfortable seats for my Regal. Racing INSPIRED is the seat I am looking for. Buick seat is typical GENERIC 80's crap that GM put out. I am looking to upgrade the seats. Ever set in a Corvette? WRX? The seats SUPPORT you. You can't drive a car to it's potential if you don't feel as "one" with your car.

I've been considering the same thing for when I put my GN back together. To match hte burgundy interior I think you'll be out of luck unless you get them recovered by an upholstery shop.

As far as other types of seats I believe I've seen a couple cars with f-body seats, from the T/A I believe which is supposedly pretty straight forward swap. Also seen a couple with Recaros (I forget the model off hand). Also seen one with one of the aftermarket brands usually seen in imports, I forget the name though. I personally kicked around the idea of a different Recaro (same style as in the Lancer Evo), C5 sport seats( big bucks and hard to find) , or Integra seats (cheaper and I find them pretty comfortable and supportive). Currently I'm leaning toward the recaro's, if I ever get the body straightened out.

HTH
Tom

Im sure you could find a set of seats like recaros or something that would be comfortable and more supportive . I see these type seats all over these days . Pep boys has these type now . I sat in one and although i know there trying to appeal to the Ricer Fast and Furious crowd , but i have to say it felt good and in all black(For GN) didnt look bad either. If your talking an Aluminum padded type seat , well i ran one in another car and it held you in GOOD! real tight , but comfort was another matter . As far a color someone could put that fabric on another seat im sure , it may cost a little more for the fabric and work .

Instead of a race seat, have you thought about a late model OEM seat? You could have a shop recover them to match your current interior. I've heard that 4th gen F-body seats fit without too much trouble. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried a Corvette seat yet.

OOOOH you mean ricer seats!I hear corbeau makes pretty comfy seats,but they are like $350 each.Thats what alot of the stang boys use.

Go for like a nice standard Recaro or something... They make supportive seats that arent "racing" seats, but support you better than the factory seats..

I installed Corbeaus in my car. They are the plain black seat , non adjustable. I did so cause the 1.3+ 60 fts were taking a toll on the stockers. Also after the wheelie at BG i did not want to be in a seat that just would not hold me in right.

They were not that expensive. I was able to reuse my stock rails with some hard work.They are confy , but not for long trips. They are nice and sturdy with cut outs for a 5 point harness.

For a daily driver i would go for late mode F body seats.

I've got a SCAT Procar seat in black cloth in salvageV6 most of the reason I prefer driving that car anywhere rather than the GN with the factory seat.

Real foam and more of a rally type seat with good bolstering.

Corbeau makes good seats also and I may get one for the GN someday, or a Recaro. :)

Careful using the Corbeau, Recaro (I've had both) or similar seat. They feel GREAT for about 10 minutes or so and then they feel terrible. Definately NOT a seat made for long term comfort.

I personally used 2000 F-body seats. They've have air bolster adjustment and bolted right up to the stock Regal brackets. Best Mod I've done to the car.

Go to site in sig for pics.

Hey Zam thats a hellofa nice job on the seats and interior , looks nice in all black. Nice paint job too , its a dark metalic looking grey right .

I used Tenzo-R rally style seats. I used the "import" style seats in my car for two reasons. 1- I am setting my car up for being a corner carver as there aren't nearly as many straight roads as there are not straight ones around here and the stock seats just weren't holding me in. 2- My rear isn't exactly what you'd call narrow :D and these were the best feeling (i.e. widest) well-bolstered seats I've ever sat in. I've sat in quite a few, as my profession of custom car stereo kind of lends itself to that type of crowd. My wife and I drove the car from Seattle Wa, to Woodburn Or, for Turbo Thunder and I got NO complaints from her (about a 3-4 hour trip if I remember and believe me she would let me know if she didn't like them). Installation was a snap, just had to make some flat-bar adapters to bolt them to the factory bottom rails was all I had to do.

ADAM

Originally posted by zam70
I personally used 2000 F-body seats. They've have air bolster adjustment and bolted right up to the stock Regal brackets. Best Mod I've done to the car.

Hey Zam, those seats and your car look great!
How much more did those seats weigh?

The car is a really dark metallic grey, looks black at night and 2 tone at dusk.

No idea how much the seats weigh,...I think about the same as the stockers

I like old school, so heres a thread recovery.
I got an old school bride brix driver I & bride mesh passenger.
I just picked up an takata racing 4point harness to match my brix :) :)
100_1882.jpg

Anyone today have some nice racing seats or seat in their GN?
but havn't installed them yet. Please post up some pictures if
you have them, I would love to seat some modern or old school
racing seats. The higher quality seat the better, thanks!!!!!!!

I might just put the mesh bride in another car though.

XxDarkSidexX

Careful using the Corbeau, Recaro (I've had both) or similar seat. They feel GREAT for about 10 minutes or so and then they feel terrible. Definately NOT a seat made for long term comfort.

Funny post "Best mod ive done to the car". I was thinking of how uncomfortable my $2500 Recaro seats were...:mad:

Those 2000 F-body seats sounds like a much better, wiser, and certainly cheaper decision;).

I know right, dont those look bitchin! I thought it was a nice custom touch.

If your not worried about name brands, there are toooons of imitation racing seats avaiable.
But if you like the real stuff, its expensive as usual. Thats how it work.
Some nice recaros, sparcos, momos, veilsides, nismo, bride seats are all pretty expensive.

definitly hot rodding there.

XxDarkSidexX