Racing Helmets

menace848

Yeah, Im the slow GN, so?
Just wondering where you guys got your helmets from? I plan on running my gn at the track early november and anything under 14.0 requires a helmet and I am not really sure where to look. Any help is appreciated :)

I got kicked off of the track here for no helmet until I got a loaner. Just about any motorcycle helmet will do if it has a Snell 95 rating.

How about a Go Kart helmet. They say "DOT Approved". I went to the local Northern Tools and equipment and almost bought one for 30 bucks. Didn't see any snell 95 stickers on it or anything. Would it be legal? I wouldn't think so.
:confused:

Originally posted by Turbojorge
How about a Go Kart helmet. They say "DOT Approved". I went to the local Northern Tools and equipment and almost bought one for 30 bucks. Didn't see any snell 95 stickers on it or anything. Would it be legal? I wouldn't think so.
:confused:

Well my sled helmet is good enough to keep my noggin intact if I fall off at 90 mph, it better be able to protect me in my car. I dont think the tracks are looking for any particular rating, at least not around here

Check the rules.

New England Dragway requires a helmet if you run under 14 sec. They require Snell 85 or newer. Obviously it's also DOT approved. Mine is a Shoei. Snell 85. Cost about $110. Course thems is 1985 dollars.:D Much more expensive now. ;) That being said, I've only run one sub 14 sec run. A 13.99, and no, they didn't ask me to put the lid on. Taking it with me was wishful thinking. I'm sure if you check with your local track they can tell you their requirements.

Re: Check the rules.

Originally posted by granitestategn
New England Dragway requires a helmet if you run under 14 sec. They require Snell 85 or newer. Obviously it's also DOT approved. Mine is a Shoei. Snell 85. Cost about $110. Course thems is 1985 dollars.:D Much more expensive now. ;) That being said, I've only run one sub 14 sec run. A 13.99, and no, they didn't ask me to put the lid on. Taking it with me was wishful thinking. I'm sure if you check with your local track they can tell you their requirements.
From what your sig says, it seems like thats a lot of stuff to be running 14s, what was your boost at?

Helmets

I guess if you have a $5.00 head, put it in a $5.00 helmet...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Otherwise, here is the rule per NHRA rulebook.
All helmets MUST be SNELL or SFI approved. Snell K-98 is acceptable in place of any SNELL M rated helmet.
All cars running 13.99 or quicker, must use a helmet meeting SNELL 85,90,95, SFI 31.1, .2, 41.1, or 41.2.
ACCEPTANCE of SNELL 85 helmets WILL be discontinued on 1/1/2002.

Nuf said..;) ;)

Menace

I had it set at about 17 psi and got 4.8* KR on the 13.99 run. I turned up my FP and my knock went up!:confused: My 60' times suck. I don't know how to launch. My header was cracked almost all the way around #5 tube.:mad: I'd never been to the drag strip before. My O2's were all over the place. My dog ate my homework. There, I think I've covered all the bases. Actually, I only got 4 runs in and I didn't mess with any of my settings except fuel pressure. Next time I go I'm gonna let some more air out of the Nitto's, put some more air in the airbag and try some of the launching techniques people have suggested on the boards. My 60' times were all around 2.2 sec. :eek: I need practice, new valve springs (this winter) and some more tuning. I was really surprised to get that much knock at 17 psi with the power plate on it. Oh, I forgot one more excuse: I had a fouled Bosch O2 sensor in it. Yeh, that covers it. :D

CORRECTION!

I guess I do need a new lid. Just checked NED's web site and in the "news" section it states that Snell 85 helmets are no longer acceptable.:mad: Snell 90 is now the minimum spec. In the racer's handbook section it say's Snell 85 is OK, but I guess they changed their mind in July. Time to go helmet shopping!:D