racetronix fuel pump issues?

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
sorry in advance if this is long. 2 cars 2 different problems. car 1-87 gn, buddies car. he had a new racetronix pump from eric marshall installed about two weeks ago. i was out with him today and he said car didnt feel right. i hooked my fp gauge up. gauge read 65 psi at idle. i tried adjusting pressure down, would NOT go down. run screw all the way in pump will go over 100 psi, but again will not go under 65 psi. removing/installing vacuum hose has no effect on pressure. also, when you shut the car off, pressure immediately drops to 30 psi and holds. i blew shop air through return line and tried another regulator with no change. ideas? car 2- my car. same pump from same vendor, in the car about 6 months. i started noticing a month ago a flutter in my fp gauge at idle (hood mounted gauge) slight flutter about 2 psi. noticed the other day when the car goes into boost, it will go to 73 psi, about where it should be, then start fluttering wildly from 60 to 80 psi (back and forth, continuously)! again, ideas please. Tia..

car 1
your friends return is restricted ... your atttempts to lower with FP screw resulted in a too low spring setting which is why it drops to 30 because thats where the FP spring is set , fix the return issue , could be a kinked line (maybe by the pass header) or rubber hose at back by tank, little oring blocking flow in the line or could be a reversed fuel return and vent line at tank . have also seen where installer incorrectly positioned filter under return line by pump and that restricted the flow

your issue sounds like the line at pump in the tank is not secure and leaking inside the tank , or the pump is failing , check the line in tank wiring and also check fuel filter for restriction that would lead to early pump failure also look at the wiring while your in there for signs of overheated wire from a pump drawing too much current
also check that your vacuum line to the regulator is in good shape and secure with zipties because it could leak off the boost reference to the regulator causing what you see

will double check for reversed return line on his. made sure wiring was good on mine with pump install...closed up all terminals for a tight fit...double clamped line btw sender and pump....if vac line was loose enough to lose signal, wouldn't it blow off?

still doesnt explain the slight flutter at idle though.....another thing i noticed, when starting- pressure will come up when keyed on, then drops for a split second while cranking then comes right back up when car starts..also noticed voltage in my pl files is 12.9 volts through the whole run...is that enough for these pumps or is it time to go back to a volt booster?

will drop while cranking because pump is off and injectors are opening and pump wont come back on until rpm comes up when it fires

12.9 is ok , as long as the pump output at 12.9 meets your fuel demands but it sounds like with the Fp jumping you have issues , i would just try another pump

i'm seeing ALOT of threads about these pumps lately..has there been an issue? i thought they were the "cure" for the walbro issues....6 months isn't sh*t for a pump to last....getting really frustrated with the quality of parts for these cars anymore....

what pump are you running thats "the cure" for the walbros
i dont expect anything to be 100% anymore which is why you need to log and test components to avoid bigger failures because of a smaller part, when it comes to fuel the one name i feel better with is weldon
testing pumps and logging fuel pressure and inj duty helps to find issues
but dont forget the alky . testing with razors tester helps to find leaks in pump or the lines and for output pressure . something else that should be logged is alky pressure and IAt after the nozzles

both cars are using the racetronix pump sold by eric at turbotweak.....does racetronix manufacture these or are they reboxed from another manufacturer? so far ive gone through 2 walbros, a red's xp and now this, if it is in fact my issue...fact is everything from anyone seems to have issues anymore...i was attempted to be convinced that my 750$ ta headers are a "consumable" part because they cracked with roughly 8 months total running time on a car that's lucky to see a 1000 miles a year....that's funny because the stockers lasted well over 20 years.....and you talk directly to the manufacturer and get "well that's the first one i ever heard of doing that", then run into more and more people who have the same exact issues....seems everyone wants to just pass the buck anymore and not stand behind anything...btw, not speaking ANYTHING negatively of eric in any of this....he has been 110% helpful throughout the years....

Subscribed to this as I may be having an issue too with mine.
Although, now I can't seem to replicate what was happening (of course)

Interesting, I am looking at an upgrade and lots of good info on this subject lately

both cars are using the racetronix pump sold by eric at turbotweak.....does racetronix manufacture these or are they reboxed from another manufacturer? .

i looked at erics site

from main menu its shows it as
Fuel Pump Walbro 255L/hr with basic install kit - Buick, Syclone, Typhoon
with description just under that on main menu
Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump with basic install kit from Racetronix.
This kit includes a wiring adapter to connect to existing in-tank wiring.
For 84-87 Buicks, SyTy's, and 89 TTA.

http://www.turbotweakstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1008-Walbro
and he he only has one pump listed so i gues thats what you ordered and its clear as balls stated that its a walbro255lph with racetronix install kit , cant see how you are confused as to what you bought
also says under product description page (more info)
" I warranty these pumps for one year from date of purchase (gas or E85)"

well i wasn't really confused....i don't have a photographic memory of the website, just the fact that the box that the pump came in said RACETRONIX.... i was tired as hell last night from working on 2 cars all afternoon, called eric and didn't get him and figured i'd post on here for some help.....so that being said, have there been any problems lately with the WALBRO pumps? i know there have been many in the past......

I'd put the question out on Eric's forum also. He's likely to respond there first.

does he have a forum on here? or are you talking about his website? if so, i just now signed up and can't post anything yet....

Is it possible your regulator is causing the fluctuation in pressure? I've seen a few threads about accufab regulators doing this. Jerryl on this forum had a thread going about them and did some pretty good research about WHY they were doing this. If I remember right he found that the stock regulators were the most consistent in pressure, then kirban's regulator, then accufab. I'm not bashing accufab, I have one and it apparently works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue, but different pump (deatschwerks). I ran a new return line, no change. I have ACUFAB FPR now, but I will install new billet FPR from Turbo Tweak tonight. This is driving me bats*%t crazy.

ACUFAB worked great for 3 years, maybe wear and tear of 3 pumps did it in, we'll see.